Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 6:40 pm

I am struggling with my current friendship group because I can go for a month or weeks without seeing them and when I do think my friendships are going somehwere it never stays that way. Honestly its like groundhog day with my friends, its really depressing :(

It could be pehaps becuase I mainly keep in contact with one memeber of the group to organise social events with my friendship group?

I have falling out with a few members of the group in the past as well.

I have met some new guys at the college I go to though.

Ok I wan't your opinion should I stick with my old friends or focus on developing new friendships with the guys I have met at the collge I go to?

For the record I have sematic pragmatic communication disorder (like Aspergers syndrome) so this could have a part to play in keeping friendships etc...

My family are saying I should stick with my current friends and develop new ones at the same time. Not just ditch my current friendship group.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:00 pm

Please can somebody answer question :(

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2008, 7:11 pm

I'd go with what your familys said, keep the friends you have, but also try to find new one. Other than that I don't know how to help. sorry.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:16 pm

Yeah, your family is right.

I think you should talk about the way you feel to your current friends and it's good to keep in contact with more than one friend.
It's ok to have two different groups of friends. I'm kind of like that.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 8:23 pm

If you have old friends that are near and dear to your heart then by all means maintain friendship with them by keeping in more frequent contact. That means calling, texting, emailing, sending Christmas and birthday cards to let them know you care. If one has said something is going on in their life such as an illness but then you don't hear from them then call them up and just say "hey I was thinking about you and wondering if you were doing okay, etc". That will help you to hold onto old friends provided they are not really trying to shake you loose as sometimes we do outgrow friendships of convenience.

But do concentrate more on making new friends. As you grow older you will see its unlikely that you can hold onto all your school friends unless maybe if you live in a small town where no one moves away. Our society is so mobile that people move out of state and you never see them again. Friends will come and go that's why you have to constantly make a job out of meeting new people because the old friends tend to be fleeting. Don't take it personally; its just how our world has become.

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:54 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I am struggling with my current friendship group because I can go for a month or weeks without seeing them and when I do think my friendships are going somehwere it never stays that way. Honestly its like groundhog day with my friends, its really depressing :(

It could be pehaps becuase I mainly keep in contact with one memeber of the group to organise social events with my friendship group?

I have falling out with a few members of the group in the past as well.

I have met some new guys at the college I go to though.

Ok I wan't your opinion should I stick with my old friends or focus on developing new friendships with the guys I have met at the collge I go to?

For the record I have sematic pragmatic communication disorder (like Aspergers syndrome) so this could have a part to play in keeping friendships etc...

My family are saying I should stick with my current friends and develop new ones at the same time. Not just ditch my current friendship group.

well just to forewarn alot of people think I'm self absorbed and don't like me but in my relationships I look objectively of what they offer me. Now that sounds pretty selfish but look at it this way if I have one person who doesn't add to my life much and takes more then they give and I have a person whos here to help us mutually grow who should I pick? I look at each friends postive and negative qualities and then decide using that to determine what they will add to my life. In the end though all my friends know that quite simply I'm not good at keeping in contact and most of them go out of their way to keep in contact with me especially when I go through my burnt out from people phases.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 8:57 am

Thank you for your advie guys.