Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 9:24 am

I am not very good at conversation, especially with people I don't know well. They just fizzle out. I did however, find an interesting article in the NYTimes just now called "The 10 Things to Talk About This Weekend" which I thought was a great idea as I could use coaching. I don't know if it's a regular column or not. I'm always impressed by people who seem to have things they want to discuss with others. Anyway, do you have any techniques for conversation in social settings? Or do you have ways that you prepare yourself for social interactions?

Here's the article if you're interested:

Quote:
The 10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
By HENRY ALFORD
Published: September 8, 2010

1. John Boehner vying for speaker of the House. He’ll be a lot less tan if he gets a more demanding job.

2. Arizona Governor Jan Brewer has awkward 16-second pause during debate. When Jan wants to rest, she counts immigrants jumping over fences.

3. Tom Stoppard says he’d like to die via a falling bookcase. And James Dyson dreams of being sucked up into a giant, bagless cyclone vacuum cleaner.

4. Isaac Mizrahi, Anna Wintour and Bravo network are dished by Tim Gunn in his new book. Apparently they did not make it work.

5. First big musical number of “Glee” second season to be set to Jay-Z/Alicia Keys duet, “Empire State of Mind.” O.M. to the Jeezy!

6. The journalist Joe McGinnis moving out of house next door to his subject, Sarah Palin. She’s like Seurat: best appreciated from a distance.

7. World’s shortest man (22 inches, from Nepal) visits New York and says he’s attracted to tall blond women. Katmandu’s Dudley Moore.

8. Lil Wayne sends his United States Open predictions to Sports Illustrated from prison. The edgiest that tennis has been since Agassi’s mullet-earring combo.

9. Peggy Olson of “Mad Men”: from prim Catholic to counter-culture rebel. Mad-onna.

10. J. K. Rowling donates £10 million to multiple sclerosis research. Still accepting donations for her “Broom Ride for a Cure” fund-raiser.

It's from:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/09/fashion/09crib.html?src=sch&pagewanted=all

The actual article has links, btw.

I came upon it using the Times Skimmer which is soooo cool!

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 10:34 am

Wow... I was just gonna talk about the crappy weather we've been having recently.....

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 4:56 pm

And, at the bottom of the list of Things to (not) Talk About.......

96. (The hackneyed) What's your sign?
97. Hey, how much do you weigh?
98. What's your political agenda? Who'd you vote for?
99. What are your religious affiliations? Oh really?
100. So, how much money do you really make?

:) < just kidding about No. 96-100>

Then, the top 9 are kind of contrived too; No. 10 is always en vogue - - J.K. Rowling rocks.
I'm thinking the weather is a safe topic.

I'm too shy to start conversations though. How come I am so bold on the Wrong Planet and so painfully shy in "real life?"