Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 12:40 am

Have you ever done this to people you don't know? I have done it a few times and afterwards, it keeps cycling through my head, and i wonder if it was my place to do so.
Tonight I caught someone trying to re-tune my ukulele, which I always have at the bar and play at the bar...it is my major AS obsession... I don't mind it if someone wants to hold my ukulele or play my ukulele for a moment or 2 with my permission, but to pick it up and try to retune it while I wasn't there really ticked me off. He claimed that he was retuning it because he thought it was out of tune..but he does not know how to play a ukulele...and since he was a musician, he should know way better than tuning another person's instrument w/out permission....An example of how I can be an abrasive and unlikeable person....my chewing him out.. :?

It has made me mad on other occasions too....people picking up my uke and thinking it is out of tune and messing it all up...um....another time, my handyman said he had tightened my tuning pegs for me...but he really didn't know what he was doing and made it a lot worse...I didn't chew him out though...but maybe I shoulda....instead, I rationally explained that I had wanted to tighten the tuning pegs myself... :roll: which is how I should have reacted to the guy wh was retuming my uke. :roll:

Ancedotes please....

Shaqn
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2009, 1:04 am

A roommate went into my room and cleaned every single corner of it without my permission because he was "sick of looking at every time (he) walk(s) by". It was never that messy and no one told him to look inside my room. That was a major breach of privacy and had a significant impact on trust. I still live with him, but it's getting harder and harder to tolerate him now that I have this on my plate. I mean, I keep journals and notepads with ideas and such that I don't want other people to look at and I'm fairly comfortable with the way I keep my room.

Unfortunately, after all that hatred I ended up just fuming in my room for a while rather than chewing him out. I really wish I had..

I did tell him I wasn't happy with it, but all he did was yell and swear at me for not thanking him for doing me a favour.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 1:32 am

Uh oh, "anecdote" is my favorite word! :) It was responsible for my first break into print!

I was playing a set with the band Professor Gall at Dante's Inferno here in downtown Portland, Oregon. Some yahoo right in front of me in the press of bodies was telling me that I was flat and made a motion for me to pull my mouthpiece out (I play sax, btw). He did this for a couple of numbers in a row. It took a conscious effort of will not to jump off stage and do something very bad to the poor boy. Instead, I waited until I had a few free bars, then made a motion like I put my hand on my mouthpiece and moved it in and then out exactly the same distance. He then listened and made the "thumbs up" motion.

My point here is this. You cannot stop your nature. Not completely. You must be and experience all that you are in terms of this "difference" we share v. the General Population. However, you can blunt it or mute it to a degree. Sometimes, this degree can mean the difference between a successful or an unsuccessful relationship.

-- Vip