Does "being explained by psychology" surrender our autonomy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

__Elijahahahaho
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2024, 6:05 am

I find that if I accept that autism is a part of me,
I accept that psychologists can sort of explain myself better than me.
This creates an invalidating power imbalance that removes my voice and
sense of self-worth that I had prior.

This is much worse with people who are not trained.
Laypeople don't know how to treat you and immediately start their own bad
psychoanalysis and management strategies, as in this post earlier about an autistic
person who was not in fact autistic, but sort of misdiagnosed and mothered to death.

"autism is a part of who I am" and all that, but Idk, I think i am better off not thinking about it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2024, 6:33 am

Nope.

While autism is indeed a part of me;
Autism is not all that I'm.
And all is perception.

All the claims, anecdotes and stats that "all" autistics have anxiety and depression, are all social losers, clumsy etc.
I broke all of those so called 'reality' and the common circumstances and patterns of being autistic. :roll:

Why? Because I refuse. :lol:
It adds even more to the fact that I know my own individual factors and some of those factors are not common apparently.

If anything; most humans do not have full autonomy as per psychology. Or even physics.

Most humans are subject under their upbringing and genetics.
Most humans are subject under how they're treated in childhood, how much nutrition they got during their formative years, all that belief passed onto them because of everyone around them, etc.

Just like how one's postal code determines their income.
NTs are not as free and as indeterministic as they looked.

All humans are subject under it, no exceptions.

Autism, along with the ideas and beliefs around it, is not 'so special' when it came to it.

In the end, you're a human.
You have more choice beyond what autism or your neurodivergence, your gender, your socioeconomic status, your nationality, the way your parents treated you had given or taken from you.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

notboston
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2024, 10:26 am

Nope! I can still admit I’m at fault for my behavior and take agency of myself even if it could fit a pattern of autism spectrum.

I think my main frustration with supports is when they use an excuse like “we didn’t know you were autistic!” when they still had the ability and faculty to not be abusive. Sometimes you have to understand a person is obstinate because they are stating fact, not because it’s some kind of clinical disorder.

__Elijahahahaho
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2024, 11:05 am

Quote:
admit I’m at fault for my behavior and take agency of myself even if it could fit a pattern of autism spectrum.

Because you used the word fault it sounds like you are being blamed for behaviour that fits an autistic pattern and can "take agency" over it, which kind of sounds like masking and abelism.

Quote:
Sometimes you have to understand a person is obstinate because they are stating fact,

Yeah.. sigh. if they believe in the concept of facts. It's often better not to identify I think. They can just use the information against you.

notboston
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2024, 11:31 am

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
Quote:
admit I’m at fault for my behavior and take agency of myself even if it could fit a pattern of autism spectrum.

Because you used the word fault it sounds like you are being blamed for behaviour that fits an autistic pattern and can "take agency" over it, which kind of sounds like masking and abelism.

I am not trying to be ableist. While I do ask for accommodation for some of my symptoms, I realize I have to accommodate and practice and learn to inhabit polite society ( :roll: ) as everyone else does.

__Elijahahahaho
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2024, 1:54 pm

It sounds like you live in a more "indirect" culture (like New Zealand) instead of direct like Dutch.
There is an idea of "ask" culture versus "guess" culture.

In "guess" culture you are supposed to do a lot of work to figure out the other persons
(emotional) needs and cater to them.

In "ask" culture you don't and you just ask what is going on.

In my experience, Nobody likes guess culture in the long run. Everyone always f***s up. People are too complicated to figure out.
When I was in New Zealand, they were so f*****g polite
they couldn't even tell people they weren't sweeping the floor right. There had to be a general meeting,
and they indirectly hinted that "some of us have been sweeping incorrectly". What the f**k.

They don't even like it themselves, there was an eggregiously popular reddit post complaining how
everyone became so passive aggressive, and instead of just talking through and solving their problems
they just did dumb stuff like post-it notes, or little hints. Holy s**t. Who has the time.