Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2024, 7:51 pm

If you have positive thoughts, will you have good luck, like losing weight, winning the lottery & other stuff.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2024, 8:26 pm

I think positive thoughts can help you take positive steps if they help you feel hopeful or more confident that things will work out or that you will be able to handle them. I don't think the thoughts by themselves will make anything happen. But trying to be positive is certainly better than giving in to despair.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2024, 8:43 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
If you have positive thoughts, will you have good luck, like losing weight, winning the lottery & other stuff.
The "Power of Positive Thinking" has been debunked.
Arianne Cohen wrote:
If you imagine yourself wealthy, you will become wealthy.

Except not.

Skeptics from the London School of Economics and Political Science and the University of Bath followed people’s finances and expectations for 18 years and found that overly optimistic thinkers end up not rich, but sadder and poorer.  Perhaps optimism is not a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Read the complete and unedited article  HERE .

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2024, 9:49 pm

I feel good I feel fine
I feel fine I feel good

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2024, 11:42 pm

I don't have positive thinking.
Positive thinking feels invalidating for me.
Not even gratitude mindset.

And any imaginary positive expectations will drive me nuts because it's very self deceiving and very disappointing.
Which is temporary feel good at best and basically a lotus eating machine that will disrupt my entire week at worst.

No, I have thoughts that is either reasonable encouraging, non judgement rephrasing or very present.

I don't fight my negative thoughts; that will make my head spin in internal conflict. I don't feed them either.
Instead I have to bend them into reason or dismiss it.

The only positive thought I have is that we are not in a middle of a deadly warzone, the certainty that I won't starve to death nor ended up violated.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2024, 11:51 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel good I feel fine
I feel fine I feel good

I got that off of Hogan's Heroes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2024, 11:03 pm

What do optimists think? That having positive thoughts will make an angel appear and wave a magic wand to make the world's problems all go away?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2024, 11:40 pm

Not inherently, no.
But there's not much value in just stewing in misery needlessly either.

Ideally one should engage in critical thinking all the time. It's not as emotionally satisfying as joining the cult of positive thinking, but it helps keep one in check with reality. It's generally more helpful than either constant negativity or constant wishful thinking can ever be though.

If you're prone to catastrophizing it can help shut down those cycles before they get out of control.

While it can crush wishful thinking it can also help with planning realistic solutions to large problems one faces.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell