the biggest big business in america is anxiety

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 11:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
I just want to know where did such people get the idea even way, way long before. And I'm sure it's older than it seem as OP post year indicates.

from caveman days to be a bit more precise. people listened to the caveman who gave accurate warnings.

And... :o

Which caveman figured that there's is such thing as beyond anxious brain and anxious brain in the modern era is exploitable? (Thinking of masters and slaves, thinking of symbols of status and ties with security in survival mode)

Who observed that other cavemen are like frogs in slowly boiling water?
Or, in, like, people, collectively speaking, can be in an abusive relationship for one? (Perpetrator and victim dynamics and cycles, except perpetrators are the minority and victim is the majority)

And, well, obviously, is such 'bloodline' or 'group' exists? :lol:
Like, opportunistic caveman passes it to their kids or do they have this exclusive club who will attain such knowledge, keep them to themselves like the rulers they were? :lol:

Also, obviously, why not a lot of people seem to be aware of it even in this modern era?

And, like, why are most humans in this era are still helpless to get out of it, collectively speaking and despite of any recent knowledge or awareness that all of that 'business' should not be 'normal'? :o
Is it like one of those annoying historical traumas or something?

:twisted:

The topic of anxiety, personally, is something I cannot relate well.

But I had rare times that I experienced it; to imagine dealing with something like that on a regular basis let alone 'normalized' will certainly affect anyone who doesn't have an anchor and metacognition to know better.

And from where I came from, it's not a very well talked about topic.

The topic of stress however, does and how it affects me.

Since from where I came from, 10-12 hrs a day and 5-6 days a week work is the norm at large; and yet still in poverty line, so reliant on aides...

I already seen what it looked like here; there's no big pharma milking cash off psych meds (yet) cause many are too poor to afford that. :lol:

I'm not entirely sure what it looked like there...
I imagined that many of normal human responses to extreme stress is medicalized instead of processed or solved from it's root causes...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2024, 1:38 am

At the end of Disney's "Son of Flubber," which is otherwise a very silly comedy, there is a courtroom scene in which the main character Prof. Brainard, played by Fred MacMurray, has a speech about people who "sell fear."

Quote:
Professor Ned Brainard: Well, it seems to me that a lot of people are going around these days selling fear. All kinds of fear. Fear of bombs, bugs, smog, surpluses, fallout, falling hair, even fear of Mr. Hawk. [Mr. Hawk is the villain of the movie.]
We find ourselves apologizing, Hiding our heads, or jumping at shadows.
I can remember when groundhog day only came once a year in this country.
Now, I see a lot of students from my science class here in the courtroom. They may not be the most studious
group of young people in college today, But Ill say this for them:
so far they are unafraid.
They have good will, enthusiasm, and an infinite capacity for making mistakes.
I have high hopes for them.

Prosecutor: Am I to understand, professor,You actually encourage mistakes in your class?

Professor Ned Brainard: Mr. Prosecutor, the road to genius is paved with fumble-Footing and bumbling. Anyone who falls flat on his
face is at least moving in the right direction: forward.
And the fellow who makes the most mistakes…
may be the one who will save the neck of the whole world someday.

That was in 1963.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2024, 2:08 am

maybe that is where mr. sevareid got the idea?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2024, 3:43 am

I think this is right. Humans are naturally vigilant, it's how you survive, historically.

But we've created industries that exploit that anxiety for profit and power. Then we invent technologies that make it easier to exploit those anxieties, in ever greater numbers of people.

One could get anxious just thinking about it.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2024, 7:19 am

Anxiety and stress are very bad for our overall health and unfortunately it is exploited.
Fear is used to control the masses and there is big bucks to be made by those who have no love for their fellow human beings.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2024, 1:43 pm

it should all be illegal.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 5:24 pm

I think Freud distilled all mental illness down to anxiety didn't he?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 6:22 pm

I thought it was 'sexual repression' that he assigned everything to.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 11:51 pm

but he also said, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 2:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I thought it was 'sexual repression' that he assigned everything to.

its true, he shifted toward sexual repression. but all his therapies (like psychodynamics) were originally based on anxiety. that remains his biggest legacy.