Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2024, 4:14 am

I love routines and being in the know. But lately I've been confused. I know I'm autistic, and l know I like routines, but when I try to make a productive routine, I get bored of it after a bit. It's like the thought of continuing it is exhausting. Is it laziness or ADHD or is it something else like executive dysfunction, etc? :?:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 4:29 am

I have the same problem.
I don't have ADHD.

I have an internal sensitivity problem instead and some executive dysfunction most related to self regulation and internal processing.

As much as I want to prefer the same things, do the same things, having all that predictability...
A part of me just kept swaying elsewhere because of boredom, pain, or some other excuses generated by my head that just boils down to 'not in a mood to'.

It's like no matter how detailed, how far from the present the schedules are and what will happen, I'm not predictable.

Hormonal cycles, maybe?
It can disrupt consistency if one had to 'adjust' to every other hormonal state longer than it changes again, and even changes one's preferences.

Emotional inclinations can cause a lot of personal preference inconsistencies of the day.
The inability to ignore such (or any internal) factors would end up plenty of ignored schedules or impulsive planning that either leads to regret or not following through later.

Interoceptive hypersensitivity as a problem.
If one doesn't process emotions fast enough, don't recover from sickness fast enough if cannot be ignored and do the planned activity even for just a minute.
Especially with inconsistent metabolic internal cycles related to eating and sleeping...

In executive dysfunction, all that internal disruptors and so much in need of rapid transitioning.
Like every small thing counts instead of a small thing is a part of something larger -- the smallest of shifts counts counts equally and it drains plenty...

I cannot say if someone else has ADHD on top of their autism.
Only that I had questioned this case myself too often as an autistic.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 2:31 pm

I have the same thing. I need routines but it's impossible to get myself into them.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 2:36 pm

Poor executive function is a typical feature of ADHD so there's no need to split them if you've been diagnosed with ADHD.

It's also a common feature of autism.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell