Not caring for stuff most people my age enjoy

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ChaosCascade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2024, 2:01 pm

I feel this way when it comes to movies, music, books etc. Like when people try and talk to me about the new Deadpool or GTA 6 I have nothing to contribute to the discussion only due to liking a select amount of new music or movies, my favorite modern film is Nightcrawler and most people haven't even heard of it, and most people I meet don't know about Starset, or don't have an interest in the music I'm into If anything I feel like it's easier to meet people with common views online and I hate that I can only find those online because I don't feel like a person, if anything I just feel like I'm simply existing around people, most conversations just feel one sided.

For example, when someone tries talking about something like Fortnite, or Marvel movies I have nothing to contribute to it considering I lack interest in them. I think it's mostly due to preferring more serious media.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2024, 2:15 pm

I'm not into those things either. I don't know anything about Deadpool. I've never been into Marvel movies. When people talk about the latest Marvel movie, I don't know what they're talking about. I've never played Fortnight or Minecraft. Modern TV does nothing for me. I've never watched Game of Thrones. I'd prefer an afternoon listening to old music from the 60s and 70s over going to a Taylor Swift concert. When I was watching Olympic Breakdancing it went way over my head. I didn't know what was going on. I don't own a Nintendo Switch or a Play Station VR. I'd rather watch MeTV than order Netflix.

ChaosCascade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2024, 2:32 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm not into those things either. I don't know anything about Deadpool. I've never been into Marvel movies. When people talk about the latest Marvel movie, I don't know what they're talking about. I've never played Fortnight or Minecraft. Modern TV does nothing for me. I've never watched Game of Thrones. I'd prefer an afternoon listening to old music from the 60s and 70s over going to a Taylor Swift concert. When I was watching Olympic Breakdancing it went way over my head. I didn't know what was going on. I don't own a Nintendo Switch or a Play Station VR. I'd rather watch MeTV than order Netflix.

Usually when I say I have no interest I get accused of being an as*hole or closed minded.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2024, 2:36 pm

ChaosCascade wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Usually when I say I have no interest I get accused of being an as*hole or closed minded.

When I tell people I'm not interested I get called stodgy and old-fashioned. I also get called narrow minded.

ChaosCascade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2024, 2:38 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
ChaosCascade wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

When I tell people I'm not interested I get called stodgy and old-fashioned. I also get called narrow minded.

Relatable

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2024, 4:26 pm

Yep. This is my life.
Just today my friend summarized it perfectly: "I'm a part of my generation. That doesn't mean I understand it."

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2024, 4:31 pm

What people my age enjoy?
Not being dead!
Yeah...I guess I care about that too.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 6:46 pm

I'm not even sure what most women my age really enjoy. Playing with their kids? Shopping for clothes? Trying to make themselves look younger with makeup and junk? I really couldn't care less. And I'm not going to pretend I do.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 11:26 pm

I get asked if I like AFL football and I say not really then they look at you as if you have two heads for daring to not like football.
Video games I play are usually solitaire games and Mahjong. used to play candy crush but they changed it so I didn't like it anymore.