JD Vance downplays Trump dinner with Holocaust denier

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 7:50 am

The Forward

Quote:
Sen. JD Vance, the Republican vice presidential nominee, on Sunday downplayed former President Donald Trump’s dinner in 2022 with Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes. Nonetheless, he said that white supremacy “doesn’t have any room in the MAGA movement,” Trump’s political base.

“The one thing I like about Donald Trump is that he actually will talk to anybody,” Vance said in an interview on ABC News’ This Week Sunday morning program. “But just because you talk to somebody doesn’t mean you endorse their views.

ABC News host Jon Karl pressed Vance about it on Sunday. “That dinner that Trump had,” he said, “and of course, it was Kanye West, the guy that’s praised Hitler, who arranged it all. That was back a year and a half ago. And Trump still hasn’t given a full-throated denouncement of this guy, who is a white supremacist.”

Vance responded: “President Trump has issued plenty of condemnations on this.” Earlier in the exchange, he said, “Donald Trump doesn’t know anything about, and frankly, doesn’t care for”

In an interview earlier this year, Vance also declined to condemn Trump’s dinner with West and Fuentes, and in 2021, Vance criticized X for suspending Fuentes’ account, citing free speech principles. Vance, a venture capitalist before entering politics, is also an investor in Rumble, a video platform that has amplified far-right antisemitism and Holocaust denial. Fuentes maintains an active page there featuring his live shows, which are replete with antisemitic and anti-Israel content.

Vance himself did disavow Fuentes, who had previously attacked Vance and his wife, Usha, over her Indian heritage.

“Look, I think the guy’s a total loser,” Vance said on CBS News’ Face the Nation on Sunday. “Certainly I disavow him.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 10:01 pm

Of course Vance is going to have dinner with hate mongers like Fuentes while later condemning their ideology. It's a matter of wink-wink, nod-nod. They'll put on a public show of tolerance, all the while maintaining ties to what they consider an invaluable part of their base.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 5:06 pm

Didn't Elon Musk reinstate Fuentes account? odd, he spends time lampooning Kamala and enabling fascists. Vance supporting Fuente's right to free speech is odd given Fuente's comments on his wife?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 5:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Didn't Elon Musk reinstate Fuentes account? odd, he spends time lampooning Kamala and enabling fascists. Vance supporting Fuente's right to free speech is odd given Fuente's comments on his wife?

That's because Vance and Trump perceive racists like Fuentes to be most of their base. God forbid they risk alienating those voters.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 5:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

That's because Vance and Trump perceive racists like Fuentes to be most of their base. God forbid they risk alienating those voters.

Of course, trump's wife Melania was a immigrant. She can barely string a sentence together in English. Vance's wife Usha must have swallowed a "Nikki Haley" pill to happily endorse a racist.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 8:45 am

So Vance has the same mindset as Trump. Two peas in a pod and they're not so sweet.