14 month child not pointing , waving , talking, is it autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

narottam
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2024, 3:34 am

HI

I have 14 month old boy , we are worried because he is not waving , talking , pointing other gestures also missing.
not interested play with us . physically he is fine play with ball , play hide and seek , smile when we look at him.
we consulted with child development doctor she said some red flags are there but not confirmed its autism.
but as we read on internet we observed autism symtoms in my boy. its related to socual communication and behavior.
can some one please guide what we can do in this situation. how we can improve interaction of our boy with us.

Second if it is autism then how much percentage it can be improve or its not curable. and how much time it will take to improve

Please help

timf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2024, 4:14 am

If your child has the Asperger form of autism, you may find that your child achieves developmental milestones somewhat later than others. There is a free pdf booklet (Aspergers an intentional life) that describes this neurological variant not so much as a disability, but more of a condition similar to being very short or vary tall. Such variations can present challenges but not insurmountable ones.

http://christianpioneer.com/blogarchiev ... e_2017.pdf

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2024, 8:35 pm

I was diagnosed as Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) and as meeting the criteria formerly associated with Asperger's Syndrome a few days before my 65th birthday. And, I assure you, in most respects, I've done well for myself. (Not as well as some, but who has?) If your son's diagnosis would be like mine, than I recommend just go with it.

My siblings have done better socially but, in most other respects, I've excelled. I would not want to trade my life for theirs!

I encourage you to do what my parents did, just accept the kid as they are. Help them when needed. But accept they are "different", which is not necessarily "less". Help them in ways that help them.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2024, 8:38 pm

TBH, it's probably going to depend a lot on what specific combination of traits show up over time. There is a lot more understood about autism now than there was in the past. I definitely wouldn't freak out, but depending upon the specifics as they become more clear, it likely will involve a lot of advocacy over the course of schooling for appropriate support and accommodations.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2024, 8:54 pm

...and toleration and acceptance.

And help tailored to their needs (all kids have needs but some have needs that are different).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2024, 9:33 pm

narottam wrote:
HI

I have 14 month old boy, we are worried because he is not waving, talking, pointing other gestures also missing.  Not interested play with us.  Physically he is fine play with ball, play hide and seek, smile when we look at him.  We consulted with child development doctor she said some red flags are there but not confirmed its autism.  But as we read on internet we observed autism symptoms in my boy.  It's related to social communication and behavior.  Can some one please guide what we can do in this situation.  How we can improve interaction of our boy with us?

Second if it is autism then how much percentage it can be improve or its not curable. and how much time it will take to improve

Please help

[opinion=mine]

You need to consult an appropriately-trained and licensed practitioner who specializes in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs).  A child-development doctor may only have training in the basics.

Otherwise, it seems to me -- a person who has no formal training in ASDs -- that the boy MAY be on the ASD spectrum.  Any dedicated ASD professional would be able to give you better guidance than any non-professional, even those of us who have lived with the disorder.

[/opinion]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2024, 8:19 am

Get him tested and see.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2024, 10:34 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Get him tested and see.

Indeed and it should be a bit easier at that age as that's what nearly all of the testing instruments were designed for. The longer it takes to even start the more other things that it could be that have to be ruled out.

Strawberrycatcake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2024, 10:59 pm

You should wait longer to see if it’s autism. And autism or any neurodivergence for that matter is not curable, although skills can be improved with things like ABA therapy.