The Real Reasons Why People Become Atheists

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 9:55 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
...but they don’t believe you can convert people who are actually dead.

They should become Mormons if they want to unlock that special ability. :nerdy:

Personally I feel like atheism is the common sense default perspective. It's more a matter of why/how other people adopt their systems of belief.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 9:59 pm

Because you learn Santa Claus and St. Patrick's day leprechauns aren't real turns out it was mom messing up the kitchen and putting green dye in the milk not the leprechaun. and then god and jesus follow that trend....like if santa aint real and the leprechaun isn't real, neither is god or jesus, or at least that is what kind of did it for me.

Still took some time to go full athiest after that, but yes I believe that was sort of my turning point.

I guess I don't understand how some adults acknowledge things like santa, leprechauns and the easter bunny aren't real but still believe in god who they have never seen much like kids never actually see santa...cause he's not real.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 9:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Well, the problem is that they insist that Mormonism is a cult just like Mormons insist that JWs are a cult. When the two groups run into each other, there’s a frenzy of Bible scriptures being read on both sides to prove that THEY are the true religion. I wished I had popcorn on such occasions.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:01 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Well, the problem is that they insist that Mormonism is a cult just like Mormons insist that JWs are a cult. When the two groups run into each other, there’s a frenzy of Bible scriptures being read on both sides to prove that THEY are the true religion. I wished I had popcorn on such occasions.

They are both cults.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:03 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Well, the problem is that they insist that Mormonism is a cult just like Mormons insist that JWs are a cult. When the two groups run into each other, there’s a frenzy of Bible scriptures being read to prove that THEY are the true religion. I wished I had popcorn on such occasions.

I'm waiting for someone to apply the Bible Student movement approach to the Book of Mormon.

Jehovah's Later-Day Saints? :lol:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:04 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
They are both cults.

Which means they're both in a bad position to shit-talk the other for being a cult, no? :P

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:06 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
They are both cults.

Which means they're both in a bad position to shit-talk the other for being a cult, no? :P

They are really uncomfortable with each other because they both believe that a sign of the one true religion is worldwide preaching, so the existence of the other is bothersome. ExJWs and exMormons are often friendly towards each other, though. We sometimes call each other cult cousins in places like Reddit. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:13 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
They are both cults.

They are really uncomfortable with each other because they both believe that a sign of the one true religion is worldwide preaching, so the existence of the other is bothersome.

It's never comfortable to meet the bizzaro-version of yourself. :lol:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:22 pm

Yeah, pretty much. :lol:

The lack of awareness would hit me sometimes. My mom would be so irritated when Mormons would come to our house because of the inconvenience among other things, but she did the same damn thing every week herself.

One of these days, I should start a preaching thread, so I can show y’all my skills. Actually, I was an extremely awkward and incompetent JW. :lol: The likelihood of me converting someone was extremely low, probably approaching 0%.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:54 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

https://youtu.be/xoSJCzLlgk0

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:58 pm

:lol:

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2024, 7:58 am

Atheism (capital A), to me, just seems like another Protestant denomination. Like, the Protestant atheist couldn't decide which denomination they wanted to be and went with Atheism.

People who don't believe in God simply don't believe in God (atheism lowercase a). To make a whole affair out of it all seems like a religion in its own right. From an American perspective, it always seems to be Protestants who were denomination-fluid and couldn't pick one that become religious about their atheism.

I say this as an a-religious Roman Catholic who has doubts.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2024, 11:50 pm

I'd rather be a vendor at the flea market than sit in a church being told that I'm going to Hell because I'm Trans.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2024, 11:57 pm

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2024, 1:41 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
The likelihood of me converting someone was extremely low, probably approaching 0%.

Once I was tempted to conversion in my 20s when a young pretty evangelical christian lass struck up a conversation with me at the bus stop and invited me to her church. I didn't even ask what denomination she was in. I took up her invitation and arrived at her church. Alas, no sign of her, only married couples and older folk. But I fell for it for a couple of sessions and even donated money in the hope she might turn up.