Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2024, 10:39 pm

Hi All, Just another question I wanted to ask the community but how do you deal with "shutdowns". Where you just feel overwhelmed by everything all around and you just can't physically process anymore. I tend to just isolate myself in my room. I didn't know if there is any type of medication that helps? I have a benzodiazepine (Ativan) that I take for anxiety and noticed when I get super frustrated and anxious if I take one it seems to help relax me some. I just come to a point where I can't deal with anything anymore in my head and just retreat.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 12:47 am

I take Ativan as needed if I start freaking out about something or if I can't sleep. I keep some in my locker at work along with my headache medication, if things start going sideways.

This is a totally normal ASD issue. I tend to go in my room and sit in the dark or at work a couple times I went out to my car and sat for a few minutes just to collect myself. Better that then a screaming profanity laced tirade.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 1:31 am

King Kat 1 wrote:
I take Ativan as needed if I start freaking out about something or if I can't sleep. I keep some in my locker at work along with my headache medication, if things start going sideways.

This is a totally normal ASD issue. I tend to go in my room and sit in the dark or at work a couple times I went out to my car and sat for a few minutes just to collect myself. Better that then a screaming profanity laced tirade.

Ah, ok. It's nice to meet someone else who does the same thing! Ativan seems to work pretty good. It helps me sleep some. I usually take a .5mg dose but sometimes 1mg if I have bad anxiety and have alot of obtrusive thoughts. Going out to your car is a good idea! I may start doing that more myself. Sometimes I feel like going outside and screaming real loud but I know that would make things worse.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 7:40 am

my first line of defense and self care is always to retreat from whatever is stressing, overload gets counterbalanced by lots of alone time where no demands are placed on me ( or at least fewer) If I am going out or participating in something likely to be overwhelming I always look for an escape plan... find/figure out a refuge or way to protect myself from too much input the moment I recognize my discomfort. I've got better at this over the years and am better able to find "work around" alternatives to things I know ahead of time are going to be tough to deal with. Self care always first!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 1:18 am

Brian0787 wrote:
King Kat 1 wrote:

Ah, ok. It's nice to meet someone else who does the same thing! Ativan seems to work pretty good. It helps me sleep some. I usually take a .5mg dose but sometimes 1mg if I have bad anxiety and have alot of obtrusive thoughts. Going out to your car is a good idea! I may start doing that more myself. Sometimes I feel like going outside and screaming real loud but I know that would make things worse.

At home I've gone inside the car, while it's parked in the garage and screamed profanity at the top of my lungs a couple times, I just hope no one has ever heard as I can yell pretty loud. Yeah, same does of Ativan I take. I'm on Lamictal to prevent meltdowns and it also helps with my headaches.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 1:45 pm

I might have to try that myself! Ativan has helped greatly. I had what felt like a small mental breakdown last night due to anxiety and took one and within three hours began to feel better. I heard of Lamictal! I might have to see about taking that as I heard it's pretty helpful. I appreciate you letting me know how it's helped you!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 2:08 pm

The only way I have to deal with shutdowns is to

1. Try and avoid the triggers.

2. Stop what I was doing and remove myself from the enviroment or the cause that triggered the shutdown before it goes from a partial shutdown into a full shutdown.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 05 Sep 2024, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 2:13 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
The only way I have to deal with shutdowns is to

1. Try and avoid the triggers.

2. Stop what I was doing and remove myself from the enviroment or the cause that triggered the shutdown.

I go into partial shutdowns which I can't prevent, but I can usually then walk away from theenviroment so I can prevent myself getting a full out shutdown.

Thank you for sharing Mountain Goat! That's great advice! Avoiding the triggers is great and removing yourself from the environment too. I do #2 alot. I mostly go to my room and stay there for a while. At my previous job I worked when they happened due to stress I would shut my office door for about 10 minutes or so and walk around. I agree with you that the medications don't necessarily prevent them but notice they sort of help you to work through them. At least that's my experience with Ativan has been so far. It just gives you that extra breathing space to calm down.