Getting accomodations for general GRE

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Elensar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2024, 5:05 pm

I’m planning on retaking the general GRE to try to get a higher score, and to try to get into graduate school. When I took the general GRE last time, I didn't get an accommodation. So I was stressed that I didn't get extra time. So I ended up not doing as well as I could have on the math section (even though my major was physics in college).

Should I get an accommodation for the general GRE, or should I just try to take the test? I got an accommodation for extra time for tests when I was in college. My school had a testing center, so sometimes I didn't need it. But if there was a time limit for a test, I got extra time.

The problem is, it takes a minimum of 6 weeks for ETS (the test maker) to determine if they will give you an accommodation. They might consider my documentation not enough. I have autism and ADHD. My documentation for autism was an IEP from high school, back when it was called Asperger’s. That might be considered too long ago. The medical documents for the original diagnosis of ADHD and other relevant medical documents have been lost by my mom. I could get a letter from my therapist, but I worry that might not we enough. I might have to get tested, just so I have sufficient documentation. And that takes time on top of the 6 week determination by ETS.