Why does it seem like Britain has so many problems?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 2:29 pm

I seem to feel as though there are a lot of problems in many sectors of British society and it feels as though its all just happened in the last few years. The NHS (National Health Service) has problems like long waiting lists, sewage in our rivers, potholes on our roads and now saying our prisons are overcrowded and some have considered sending UK criminals to prisons in other countries where they don't have much of a problem like Estonia.

I know that there has always been problems in this country but it just feels as though there seems to be a lot more than there used to be. I mean why is that ? Is that because we don't have enough money to fix these issues when we are supposed to be one of the wealthiest countries in the world ?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 1:01 pm

We have our problems in Canada as well, so Britain isn't the only country with problems.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 1:33 pm

USA says.. " hold my beer"

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 2:05 pm

Because you're more familiar with Britain's problems compared to other countries.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 2:41 pm

The whole world is full of problems. Mainly because it's run by idiots.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 3:08 pm

In large part because the UK (and USA) have such powerful media, searching for the next ghastly story.
In large part because, when you lost your colonies, you lost much of your economic oomph.
But the UK (and USA) are still great countries to live in, by the world's lowish standards.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 3:29 pm

Mainly because people don't like paying tax to fund decent public services. People in decent countries like Sweden and Norway pay high taxes to have decent public services rather than swanning off to the Seychelles every summer and buying a top of the range car every few years.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 4:46 pm

Where do I start…

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2024, 6:45 am

It’s not the UK especially rather the whole developed world I.e the west.

The ones in control or politicians tend to mostly come from legal backgrounds usually ex lawyers.

A profession known for its dishonesty.

They are good talkers which is why they rise to the top.

Extreme NTs but high in sociopathic traits

A smile and a quick verbal get out clause for anything will take someone far in life.

It’s the same with other senior professions good talking is somehow confused with intelligence for some reason

- George Bernie Shaw