Seeking Ideas for Independent Living as I Grow Older

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

RM1987
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2024, 8:01 am

Hi all,

I’m working on finding ways to live more independently as I get older. I’ve been exploring different housing options that fit my sensory needs, like living on a canal boat for peace and autonomy.

I’d love to hear your thoughts! What housing solutions have worked for you, and do you know any other helpful forums or resources for support as we age?

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by Cornflake on 15 Sep 2024, 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.: Some content was redacted - seeking financial support from WP members is not permitted

overallexperiment
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2024, 8:19 am

Hi Ryan. What worked for me is an RV. It took me a while to get it right. I have a small unit. An E150 Ford. It is simple to drive and park. I converted the interior to suit my needs. I'm very careful about where I park for the night. The best places in Massachusetts are the state parks. Over the years I've managed to locate good campgrounds that are safe. I am able to carry my bicycle inside the truck. I use the bike to commute and recreate. I avoid boondocking unless absolutely necessary. Keeping myself and the truck clean is a must to avoid becoming a stigma. I don't like attracting negative attention to myself.

I don't like staying in any one place for longer than a month.

I'm 76 years old. If I were your age I would pony up for a good RV. The payments are less than any rental I could afford now or that I could have afforded when I was your age.

The key is to stay at safe locations. The good news is that if I make a mistake and stay at a place where I am not comfortable I hit the road immediately.

Just a thought. :D

RM1987
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2024, 9:44 am

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your experience! I really like the idea of living in an RV for independence, especially the flexibility it offers to move if you're not comfortable in a particular spot. It’s great to hear you’ve found a setup that works well for you, and that sounds like a smart way to balance freedom with safety.

For me, I’m drawn to the sense of community on the canals, which is something I still want to be a part of, even while living independently. I’ve heard the canal boat community is really supportive, with people looking out for each other, and that sounds like a good fit for me.

Thanks again for your thoughts! :D

overallexperiment
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2024, 7:40 am

Ryan,

where would you live in a canal? I'm not nautical. I don't swim in water over my head. LOL.

are you thinking the Netherlands? I do like bicycling.