Sunflower Lanyards - digitalisation/color coding idea

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Would you want the lanyard to be color coded?
Yes - I want it color coded 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
No - I do not want this 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Starlooker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2024, 3:41 am

Hello. It seems that the sunflower Lanyard is getting very popular. I am not affiliated with the program, but had an idea of digitalising it or color coding it to help communicating clearer. The idea is to make it an option to have different colors on it that you can choose from - symbolising different states - with inspiration from traffic light - red, green, yellow (in a discreet but still clear non flashy-way). :)

So red could mean - not ready for contact/talk.
Green - ready for contact/talk.
Yellow - maybe short contact ok, or careful contact.

Maybe you have other ideas for the meaning of the colors? Is this color coding something of interest to the users of the lanyard? What are your thoughts? :)

In what way/in what situations are the lanyard helping you now as it is?

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2024, 5:52 am

It's a nice idea if the lanyard related only to autism.

As I understand it, the lanyard is used for any hidden disability, i.e. not just autism but things like stoma, Crohn's, etc. On the back it can be customised to give further details.

I've got one. It says 'I am autistic. I may need more time and space in certain situations. Please be patient.' I very rarely ever wear it. What it does give me is confidence that I can use it if I run into a situation where I might get overwhelmed.

I've never been to Autscape but I believe they had a traffic light badge like you describe, which can be changed by the wearer according to their needs at the time.

ChicagoLiz
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2024, 6:26 pm

I agree that the lanyard is for "invisible disabilities" and thus some other vehicle would be better for the additions you're thinking of.

I use it when traveling but find that most people, even airline staff, etc., don't know what it is. Still, I feel it gives me the right (and therefore the confidence) to ask for accommodations if and when I need them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2024, 12:42 am

I think these lanyards are a good idea.