Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ShwaggyD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2024, 2:55 pm

Dreams, one of the things about myself that I find most curious about. The why is simple; when I sleep I do not dream. I never have, and probably never will. I've had people try waking me up in the middle of the night just to ask me if I remember a dream. Nope, it's always a blank.

I doesn't bother me as it's all I've ever known, but I am curious if this is something other autistics experience. I also find playing 'make believe' impossible for me, and I wonder if that is somehow connected.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 3:13 pm

Rarely, but I've heard that's common among people who smoke weed.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 4:22 pm

I do dream.

But I couldn't see the pattern when I tend to dream yet.
There are months that I do and often enough to dream every time I close my eyes in exhaustion -- or those in between days or weeks, and there are months that I just don't.

:lol: If that counts as often enough, no, I don't smoke weed. Or smoke at all.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 6:43 pm

I dream. Never noticed if weed affected it or not.

There are two long threads in "general" devoted to WP members reporting dreams. So I doubt the lack of dreaming correlates with being autistic.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 7:22 pm

Do autists dream of autistic sheep? :nerdy:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Lampipe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Sep 2024, 11:23 pm

I dream a ton, including lucid dreaming.

From my understanding, scientists think everybody dreams, just not everyone remembers them.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 11:38 pm

Lampipe wrote:
I dream a ton, including lucid dreaming.

From my understanding, scientists think everybody dreams, just not everyone remembers them.

I would know if I actually dreamed or not, whether I can recall it or not.

The most glaring sign for me is that it's more pleasant sleep than my "usual".

My "usual" is just lying down with my eyes closed and still awake -- and there are no hallucinations or dream like sensations.
And waking up very groggy and uncomfortable in my own body.

I get non-physical sensations and feelings whenever I dream, usually in my head after waking up, including feeling my head well rested and more comfortable than stressed and heavy.

Whenever I recall a dream, it always has a comfortable feel in my head -- even waking from nightmares.

Even during those very brief and weird moments of sleepiness at a busy day...
Yeah, I can suddenly fall asleep out of the blue and dream. Likely because my head was in a weird phase of sleep either too quickly or while awake. Most of it because of my reactions to hormones.

I can very much assume the same if I can't remember my dreams.

No comfortable sensation after waking up meant no dreams; just a stressed out body, likely an unconsciously interrupted sleep or a sleep that refuses to go through stages due to breathing issues or anything sensory.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Elwyn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Sep 2024, 3:18 am

I dream, and I remember them most mornings when I wake. Believe it or not, I've had true psychic dreams, Just a few. Four to be exact.

Weed gave me bad dreams.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 3:21 am

I dream every night and I can usually recall them. Sometimes I can control my dreams, make things come into existence, do anything I wished to do, fly, solve the mysteries of the universe (unfortunately I never remember the detail of those when I wake up), communicate with the dead...etc. It's pretty cool. The only thing I can never do in my dreams is finding a working toilet. :D It's a part of our dinner time topic for everyone to share their recent dreams. :)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 11:03 am

I dream fairly often but my dreams are mostly mundane, in which ordinary things happen that might happen in real life, though a feature of my dreams is that they are often about architectural spaces, or at least the architecture of the space I'm in is a prominent feature and I'm often in spaces like parking garages or warehouses, but also regular houses.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 4:42 pm

I dream, and sometimes they get really repetitive and annoying, as if my brain is tormenting me even in my sleep.

I think the Trazodone I take every night to help me sleep might have something to do with it, but I don't really know since I've always had pretty unusual dreams. At least I'm not sleepwalking and putting myself and others in danger like those sleeping pills I've seen on TV.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 9:25 pm

I've thought about this lately and it seems that I dream a LOT. Every time I sleep I dream. I don't really get sleep without dreams which may explain why I need 10+ hours of sleep every night. I remember my dreams for an hour or so then my recollection fades.

I don't know that not being able to play make believe is connected because I can't do it either, never have been able to. When I'm around kids, I dread being asked to play something make believe with them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 9:39 pm

I only remember a few of them, but the ones I remember are quite complex.
I can usually figure out what caused the major themes.

One fun fact is I can read and write / compose in my dreams.
That's very rare.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2024, 12:09 am

I have very vivid and memorable dreams. I don't know how drugs affect sleep and dreams because I've never done drugs.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2024, 3:11 am

I dream, not alot, when I do dream, i dream of my mom, I used to dream more when I was younger.