Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2024, 10:17 pm

In break with tradition, the Teamsters will not endorse a presidential candidate

Quote:
The International Brotherhood of Teamsters is not endorsing a candidate for president, in a move that breaks with decades of Teamsters precedent and sets them apart from other major labor unions.

"After reviewing six months of nationwide member polling and wrapping up nearly a year of rank-and-file roundtable interviews with all major candidates for the presidency, the union was left with few commitments on top Teamsters issues from either former President Donald Trump or Vice President Kamala Harris—and found no definitive support among members for either party’s nominee," the Teamsters executive board announced Wednesday.

The announcement comes as a blow to Vice President Kamala Harris, who met with Teamsters leadership for a roundtable discussion on Monday. The union released an internal, electronic poll earlier Wednesday that showed nearly 60% of members wanted leadership to back Trump. An internal poll conducted by phone showed 58% of members supported Trump, compared to 31% backing Harris.

Harris has won the support of many key labor groups, including the United Auto Workers, the AFL-CIO, the National Education Association and American Federation of Teachers, and the Culinary Union in Nevada. The Teamsters has more than one million members nationwide

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman