Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 10:47 pm

A couple wanting to name their baby after an ancient king had the name rejected by a Brazilian court over fears their son would be bullied.

Catarina and Danillo Prímola, from Belo Horizonte, over 400km from Rio de Janeiro, wanted to name their newborn son Piyé after the first black Egyptian pharaoh, who laid the foundations for the 25th dynasty.

However the Court of Justice in the state of Minas Gerais initially sided with a registry office and rejected the name, stating it cannot “register first names that could expose their bearers to ridicule”.

In the ruling, the court noted the name was too similar to the word ‘plié’ – a type of ballet step.

Piyé is spelled differently in Portuguese, reading ‘Piié’ on paper.

“That is why the sound and spelling of the name were preponderant for the rejection,” the Minas Gerais Court of Justice said.

“They would be capable of causing future embarrassment to the child.”
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/paren ... 19a0d313a6

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 11:03 pm

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 12:24 am

You really need to be careful when naming a kid, if you give them a name that's too weird or has unfortunate implications, the kids are the ones who are going to be stuck with it for life.

Of course, a name that might be okay now might not be later, that's always a risk. Just look at names like Katrina and Karen. When I was a kid there was a boy in my class named Donald and the other boys all called him "Ducker". Of course, Donald Duck had already been around for decades. But these days it's a totally different two-dimensional cartoon character that squawks incoherently you have to worry about.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 2:42 am

I went to school with a guy whose parent's called him Sean and his surname was Dick.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 7:44 am

Some countries have strict laws and actual lists of approved names you can give your kid. Like Denmark, and Iceland. Iceland gives you a list of 2000 approved names.

On the other hand there is something hypocritical about having your choice of a baby's name being cancelled by a state in your country when the state is named "Minas Gerarais" ...which means "General Mines".

Imagine if Maryland, or the province of Ontario, were called "General Mines". :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 5:56 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
On the other hand there is something hypocritical about having your choice of a baby's name being cancelled by a state in your country when the state is named "Minas Gerarais" ...which means "General Mines".

I guess the question is should governments dictate what you call your children? I recall back in the 60s/70s people legally changed their names to letters or numbers for various reasons. Not sure where these people are now?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2024, 10:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
I went to school with a guy whose parent's called him Sean and his surname was Dick.

In highschool I knew a young lady who had gone to a Jr. High with a principal named "Mr. Dickoff".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2024, 5:05 pm

Sometimes its unintentional. Callum is a popular boys name in Australia. Murray is a common surname.
I'm sure there's a few named Callum Murray which sounds like calamari or deep fried battered squid.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2024, 5:12 pm

Nothin wrong with having a name that sounds like "Calamari".

A lot more glamourous than my last name...which is the German word for "mutton".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2024, 2:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
A lot more glamourous than my last name...which is the German word for "mutton".

Before I understood Arnie's surname mean's blacksmith I thought it translated to something else in English.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 7:46 pm

Dominican republic ban this kid from getting a visa because they are scared to be sued by Disney. Kids name is Skywalker.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... b37c447976

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 9:32 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Before I understood Arnie's surname mean's blacksmith I thought it translated to something else in English.

I didnt know what Schwartnegger's surname meant, but I knew it couldnt mean what it sounded like it meant.

Most folks descended from blacksmiths in the German speaking world are named "Schmidt" (just like those from England are named "Smith". Though apparently some black smiths were given fancier names ...like "Eisenhower" (iron hewer).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 2:49 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Though apparently some black smiths were given fancier names ...like "Eisenhower" (iron hewer).

Oh! that reminds me of tolkien's mythical Eisengard which I suspect means Iron wall in Old English and German.