Homework - Doing it feels daunting

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SpiritCreeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2024, 2:42 pm

I've got homework that I need to do ready for going back to college. I've tried commiting myself to doing a bit every day for the past couple of weeks. However, doing this has made me anxious throughout the day of the impending task. Then, when I come to actually do homework, I barely get anything done and I feel like I have failed once again. The situation is starting to get hopeless for me because I only have about a week now to get everything done. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can get it done?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 2:59 pm

Pick one assignment, do it.
Repeat as needed.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 3:04 pm

The anxiety and procrastination can be overcome by doing the homework.

You have to answer the question of why do you barely do anything when you sit down to the homework.

Rhapsody
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2024, 8:13 pm

Have you tried going somewhere else to do the homework? Like the local library or a coffee shop? Back when I was in school I had a really hard time doing homework at home for similar reasons and I couldn't get started/would procrastinate until last minute. I found that going to the library, or even my grandparents house, helped me. I'm not sure why, but the change in venue helped change my mindset. Especially when it was summer homework I couldn't do during breaks at school. Maybe it would help you too?

Good luck! You can do it! We believe in you! :heart:

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 3:21 pm

Do it as soon as you get it. Or do it in a group. I like the idea of going to a different place to do it.

peet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2024, 8:54 am

Is it possible to break down it in parts? Do it one smaller piece at the time. Be kind to yourself. Reward yourself when you succeed.

Rhapsody wrote:
Good luck! You can do it! We believe in you! :heart:

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2024, 9:10 am

SpiritCreeper wrote:
I've got homework that I need to do ready for going back to college. I've tried commiting myself to doing a bit every day for the past couple of weeks. However, doing this has made me anxious throughout the day of the impending task. Then, when I come to actually do homework, I barely get anything done and I feel like I have failed once again. The situation is starting to get hopeless for me because I only have about a week now to get everything done. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can get it done?

If you're like me, it might be a multitasking thing.

If I am given two simultaneous tasks with equal priorities, I can't do A for thinking about B, and I can't do B for thinking about A. Throw a third task C into the mix, and I get overwhelmed; my head goes into a race condition, and I can't do A, B, C or anything else either.

The only way for me is to pick one task, and forget about the other ones completely until that task is finished. I will make a list, start on the task at the top, and put the rest into a mental box, out of mind.

Hope that helps.