I'm aware of my autistics traits … again

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Niktereuto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2024, 12:54 am

I was diagnosed as an adult two years ago.

One year ago I stopped paying attention to the way I behave. In my last job, the people around me never pointed out a negative autistic trait in me, so I became comfortable being like I am.

Three months ago I changed jobs. Since then, my current boss sometimes points out my autistic traits (she doesn't know I'm on the spectrum, btw), most of them the negative ones, like I'm bad at understanding jokes and messages between the lines (especially the mean), that I always speak the same way in all the social contexts, that sometimes I talk loudly or make incorrect gestures in incorrect occasions, that sometimes I don't answer back (when I don't know how to answer in a specific context), and I don't do eye contact.

It doesn't bother me. I feel relieved because I have been doubting my diagnosis for months.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2024, 4:13 am

I'm glad you're able to see the positive of it.
In the past I've had people (who didn't know) accuse me of being autistic based on my behaviour.
I wish I had your mindset at the time.
I feel as if once we reach a certain age, (20 or so) our habits and mannerisms are kind of stuck with us and it's best not to analyse ourselves like the things we do or say.