Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 7:46 pm

WLW = Woman loving Woman.

Flirting is not easy. In general. However, I think it can be especially difficult when you are a woman approaching other women. You have to sort of go out of your way to let them know, hey, this isn't me making small talk - I am flirting with you. I am being gay with you right now.

In terms of social norms, it seems that it's more socially acceptable for women to compliment each other's appearance. Generally speaking. As a consequence, I could easily say something very over the top in terms of compliments and it would just come across as friendliness rather than flirtation and interest. Compliments that would be interpreted very differently if I were male.

The advice I've seen online is to avoid upspeak when attempting to compliment flirtatiously and to speak in a matter of fact type tone. Compliment features within their control. Ask about bands and artists popular within the community to find out if she's queer. Ha, my autocorrect kept trying to correct that to queen. :lol: Yes, before flirting find out if she's royalty disguised as a commoner. :P

I think my advice would be if you're talking on a dating app and want to meet up, use the word date instead of hang out. Try to flirt a little before you try to arrange to meet. That way your intentions are clear. Some people are only looking for friends on there and are already in monogamous relationships. The scene is a bit different from say what you would expect of the male / female scene on dating apps. Different rules and expectations.

I'm trying to be a little bolder and figure out flirting in the gay scene. Of course getting a job is still my main priority right now but I'm waiting to hear back from two interviews and I have another one coming up soon so it's looking promising.

25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

FemmeDimanche
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2024, 6:49 pm

Interesting insight and overall good advice! I'm not dating women (or anyone, really) anytime soon, but I'll definitely be keeping this in mind when I do. Hope your upcoming job interview goes well.