Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 6:00 pm

Isn't this just their fantasy rather than actual Israel government plans?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2024, 5:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:

The concern, obviously, is that it may become actual Israel government plans. While the Israeli government doesn't always cater to the settler movement, it all-too-often does cater to settlers.

Anyhow, the settler movement isn't just fantasizing; they are acting on their fantasies, even without official government endorsement (yet). According to the linked article:

Quote:
Uri Tzafon (“Awaken North”), an Israeli group demanding the conquest and Jewish settlement of Lebanon, sent drones and balloons into southern Lebanon in June carrying eviction notices to the region's residents.

“The announcements make clear to the residents that they are in the Land of Israel, which belongs to the Jewish people, and that they are required to evacuate immediately,” the group said in a statement.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 29 Sep 2024, 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2024, 5:35 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
https://thecradle.co/articles-id/27004

Glad to see you're alive to post this, at least. How are you and your family doing?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2024, 5:38 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The concern, obviously, is that it may become actual Israel government plans. While the Israeli government doesn't always cater to the settler movement, it all-too-often does.

Really? settler encroachment among a few extremists is pulling government policy? I don't think it can happen unless Israel use the IDF to neutralise and remove Arab settlements first. In the current climate I doubt that will work when the world have their radars spotlighting every move made by the IDF and settlers.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2024, 5:53 pm

What does one mean by 'settlers' here? Just people who act independently of what their government sanctions? I ask this because I've always been under the impression that the Israeli government is by far the largest sponsor of settlements, eg most of those in the West Bank ('Judaea and Samaria'). I'm assuming that the vast majority of those towns are built with the permission (and funding) of the government.

Also may I ask what is the legal status of the residents of these settlements? Can they vote in elections to the Israeli parliament (sounds a bit irregular if they are living in territory that's not legally, even under Israeli law, part of Israel)? Is an Arab legally entitled to buy a house in one of these settlements?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2024, 11:26 am

DeepHour wrote:
Is an Arab legally entitled to buy a house in one of these settlements?

Arabs aren't allowed to live in or travel through settlements. Settlements in the West Bank are often used to break up Palestinian communities and impede free movement between Palestinian communities.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell