Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 1:22 pm

"This Viral "Poop Rule" Is Highly Resonating With ADHDers. This Is Why Therapists Say It Actually Works."

Quote:
When trying to decide if you should keep or get rid of an item, ask yourself this question: If the object had poop on it, would I wash it off or throw it away?

This “rule” went viral after ADHD content creator Becka Karle, known as @adhdorganized on TikTok, posted a video on the social media platform about it in July. The video racked up 175,000 views on TikTok before making the rounds on other social media sites.

Karle told HuffPost she first heard about the poop rule from a therapist she was seeing to help manage her attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms. At the time, Karle was downsizing her home, having a hard time going through and purging items she had accumulated over the years. Difficulty staying organized is a common challenge among people with ADHD (more on that below).

Her therapist told her to pick up each item in her hands and actually picture poop on it.

“Like an old toiletry or something would be gross, right? So my therapist was like, ‘Would you wash poop off that?’ And I was like, ‘Absolutely not. It would be all in the cracks, you know?’” Karle said. “And she was like, ‘Exactly. Now, what about a shirt that you wear to work a lot?’ And I’m like, ‘Honestly, I probably would wash it.’”

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 1:42 pm

I feel like many of us might be too literal minded to be helped by this, like what if the material would make washing poop off difficult?

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 1:50 pm

It was a suggestion for ADHD folk, not Aspies.

I can envision several possible explanations for why it might not work with an Aspie.
None pleasant.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 2:11 pm

Double Retired wrote:

I can envision several possible explanations for why it might not work with an Aspie.
None pleasant.

Yep.

It certainly won't work with me.
In my own case, in such hypothetical scenario, and interpreted in ways intended (which is more to do with the question of decision making and meta processed not the interpretation of texts like being less too literal like emphasizing on senses or being germaphobic, the overthinking of details as if it's a story line 'is it all of them at once or not', 'do I have cleaning supplies for that or not'? 'how did that happened'? Or the overimmersion of such scenario, Etc ).

"I'd wash them all and keep them all."

Nevermind attempting to downsize or gauge if something is important enough to keep.

But that's because my daily living and decision making is not biased with liking something enough and disliking something enough; only finish and unfinished, certain and uncertain.

Big emphasis on the latter, which screws everything up because 99% is this uncertain gray area all because of this personal unpredictability that my thoughts and feelings at the moment will not reflect nor will equally commit in the future, and definately cannot be trusted, which bring nothing but regret by decisiveness or shame by indecision.
Resulting in neither is not common for me, had to learn how to solve those feelings really quick. But I prefer to never need to have that catch-22 emotional labor crap, or being too reliant on other people's decisions to be decisive which I do not like because I might as well subtly escape accountability.

And my prioritization is still shot, even with that kind of *insert type* of process/logic/reasoning.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 3:45 pm

Double Retired wrote:

None pleasant.

Those circles have some overlap if you draw a Venn diagram.

I'm one of those people, so you can see why I said many of us when describing the target demographic of the advice.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 3:55 pm

Those of you in the overlap have a dilemma!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 4:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I feel like many of us might be too literal minded to be helped by this, like what if the material would make washing poop off difficult?

That's kind of how she answered it, saying the one object would have feces all in the cracks.

This literally happened to me recently...my mom put a bunch of my belongings in the shed, and now they are all covered in mouse droppings. Some things can be washed, but...