Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 7:20 pm

I may have low blood sugar, I been reading about it. I been eating less food at the group home, I lost soooo much weight & I been having pains in my stomach.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 7:51 pm

I think only a doctor can determine if you have low blood sugar.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 9:13 pm

It can be measured with the kind of blood sugar monitor that they sell over the counter for diabetics, but unless you're confident that you can use the thing properly, you're probably better off talking to a doctor. In my case I'd go for the monitor because I'm familiar with blood testing and I'm rather a nerdy person.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2024, 2:54 pm

I have had low blood sugar for many years. I could talk about it at great length but rather than launch into a TLDR, let me simply recommend this:

Try a rough approximation of the hypoglycemic diet and see if it helps. By that I mean first remove as much white sugar from your diet as you can (soda pop, candy, sugar laden breakfast foods, etc). Then have a snack about 10 am and another about 3:15 pm. A good morning snack would be a banana and a tablespoon of mixed nuts. For the afternoon snack, I recommend a slice of cheese and four triscuits. If you feel better after a week or two on this routine then its safe to conclude you have low blood sugar. And you can simply continue on.

I agree a doctor should be able to tell you more reliably but unfortunately they are not reliable when it comes to low blood sugar. Too many of them simply say if your blood sugar goes low eat some candy to boost it up. They don't realize doing so only compounds the problem.

That's the short version. I'll check back to see if there are any questions. Hope you feel better soon.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.