YES, multiple wars 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
I don't know 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 54

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 7:05 am

peet wrote:
I voted no, Sweden hasn't done much fighting in the last few hundred years. I do have an ancestor fought in the Thirty Years' War. He was a captain at the battle of Lützen, 1632.

I got many priests way, way back on my aspie side of the family. One priest traced our family back to the 10th century. A jewish mother fled Scotland with her daughter to come to Sweden. Her husband was killed, for being jewish.

Amazing to know your family history so far back!
Do you think there's a link between being aspie and becoming a priest?

I just wondered because some of my ancestor's were scholars and I wonder if the act of writing and recording things in past centuries was a bit like being a computer geek today, if you see what I mean. Something that would suit the autistic brain.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 9:39 am

Yeah. My great-grandfather died in WWII, 1940 if I remember my grandmother's age right. I used that to count since I know he died while my great-grandmother was still expecting my grandma, who was born near the end of the year. My grandfather from my mother's side also fought near the end of the war, drafted at the age of 17, which I'm pretty sure was the youngest age one was accepted to the field around here. He survived and got quite a few medals, but he got severe PTSD too, or at least that's what the family's convinced of considering his behavior back in the day. He died from cancer in 1999.

peet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2024, 12:53 pm

MrsPeel wrote:

I just wondered because some of my ancestor's were scholars and I wonder if the act of writing and recording things in past centuries was a bit like being a computer geek today, if you see what I mean. Something that would suit the autistic brain.

It's an interesting thought. Last hundred years or so my family hasn't been very religious, only the one who made the research who also was a priest. Further back it was almost a common thing. The city had one of the five cathedrals in the nation.

Sure, Sweden has become more secularized. I think it's the scandinavian countries and China which is the most secularized. But after WWII high school and university education has become accesible for all and not just for the people of means. Before that it was very rare with studies at the university. Even further back, the church was pretty much the only way to access knowledge.
Christianity was the gatway to knowledge. First you learn about the religion, afterwards you got introduced to math, philosophy, political science and so on.

You may be on to something.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2024, 6:13 pm

I'm finding all these family war histories fascinating.
Anyone else wish to contribute?

pokeystinker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2024, 9:27 pm

No, but I wish they'd realised war meant procreation isn't ever a good idea. All that bloody suffering, whatever the f**k for?

(GENESIS)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2024, 3:06 am

Only that my mom said that none of her ancestors fought any war, just ran and hid from the Japanese during World Wars.
Or that they lay their heads low during Spanish period and got lucky acquiring some lands somehow...

The only significant thing I knew is that generational and historical hate isn't passed onto this culture.

People here don't yap about their... 'Colonial invaders' and their atrocities.
Are, instead, dreaming of becoming one of those top global economical powerhouse again like sometime during or after world wars.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2024, 3:41 am

My great-uncle was in the second wave of D-Day.

My dad served during the Korean War but was never deployed.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2024, 8:08 pm

peet wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:

It's an interesting thought. Last hundred years or so my family hasn't been very religious, only the one who made the research who also was a priest. Further back it was almost a common thing. The city had one of the five cathedrals in the nation.

Sure, Sweden has become more secularized. I think it's the scandinavian countries and China which is the most secularized. But after WWII high school and university education has become accesible for all and not just for the people of means. Before that it was very rare with studies at the university. Even further back, the church was pretty much the only way to access knowledge.
Christianity was the gatway to knowledge. First you learn about the religion, afterwards you got introduced to math, philosophy, political science and so on.

Sweden joined the Protestant Reformation (thats what the 30 Years War was about) and became Lutheran first...before later becoming "secularized".

peet

14 Oct 2024, 2:02 am

naturalplastic wrote:
peet wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:

Sweden joined the Protestant Reformation (thats what the 30 Years War was about) and became Lutheran first...before later becoming "secularized".

You are partly correct. Sweden was the first nation state to reform from Catholicism, 1527. That's part of the reason why we measure Sweden as a nation state from 1523, when Gustav Vasa became King of Sweden. A post construction.
But the reason of the 30 years War was for nations and city states to be able to reform.
Some use religion as a way to expand their borders.

At that time your options were extremely limited. Say if my father was a farmer, I was doomed to be a farmer and/or fight in wars. The only viable option then was the clergy.

The only people who had a choice was people of means. If I was a aspie back then and wanted to be able to pursue a special interest the clergy might have been the only viable option for me. I think this is MrsPeel's point.
My aspie priest ancestor was in line to be knighted. Those plans was literally killed with the King being killed 1718.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 3:22 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Following on from my thread (in the autism politics section) where I hypothesise that autism may be related to transgenerational trauma, I decided to run this poll.

-Here "ancestors" could be parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents.

-I'm only counting wars since 1900.

-Civilian victims or casualties can be included. Holocaust survivors to be included under World War 2.

-If this doesn't apply to you, please still vote. 'No' votes are as important as 'yes' votes.

Feel free to add personal stories, but avoid detailing anything horrible or graphic or triggering please. Many of us are sensititive.

My ancestors were in the Civil War, WW1, WW2, and Korean War, that I know about, probably more. I don't think we can escape the legacy of wars in human history. I learn about them in the podcast I listen to, "The Ancients" by History Hit and hosted by Tristan Hughes. The takeaway is, there has always been a lot of war. The modern times have been peaceful by comparison to the ancient. Ancient times were very, very hard. People had almost no rights at all. There was not much of what we think of as morality.