I can love cute animals but I can't love people

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Puddle of Water
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2024, 12:46 pm

I put it down to feelings of love being drowned out by feeling distrustful and afraid of people and generally being avoidant.

Like I still feel empathy and compassion for others but I don't feel affection.

Sometimes I feel admiration for other people but it's very intellectual. Other people can be cool but I don't think I feel care for them.

But I realised I can love cute animals like my neighbor's pet cat. I put it down to cats not being a threat. Also cats not triggering my sensory issues by being loud.

Not really sure what to think of this. Suggests to me that I should work on building confidence or by finding more peers who are similar to me (trans, ADHD, ...) and I have the ability to trust more.

Anyhow I'm not broken or anything I just have a lot of difficulty trusting people so I have difficulty being caring and forming relationships.

pokeystinker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2024, 12:02 pm

Puddle of Water wrote:
I put it down to feelings of love being drowned out by feeling distrustful and afraid of people and generally being avoidant.

Sometimes I feel admiration for other people but it's very intellectual. Other people can be cool but I don't think I feel care for them.

But I realised I can love cute animals like my neighbor's pet cat. I put it down to cats not being a threat. Also cats not triggering my sensory issues by being loud.

Not really sure what to think of this. Suggests to me that I should work on building confidence or by finding more peers who are similar to me (trans, ADHD, ...) and I have the ability to trust more.

Anyhow I'm not broken or anything I just have a lot of difficulty trusting people so I have difficulty being caring and forming relationships.

Not like mankind is worthy of love anyway.

(GENESIS)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 6:54 am

great insights here.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Puddle of Water
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Oct 2024, 6:52 pm

pokeystinker wrote:

We can choose to love regardless.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 7:11 pm

pokeystinker wrote:
Puddle of Water wrote:

Of course it is. Even if you don't believe that people as a whole are worthy for various reasons (wars, conflict, etc.), individuals certainly are.