Abusive policing, and what can be done about it

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 6:19 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
enz wrote:
or maybe rich people are less likely to have a negative experience of being profiled

Probably true, alas.

Back to your earlier post:

enz wrote:
I've never been to America but I assume rich people who call the shots have a better experience with the cops which makes it hard to change things

Actually the main group that "makes it hard to change things" seems to be the police unions. In general I tend to be pro-union, but police unions, alas, tend to be really regressive, resisting police accountability.

The police unions are beyond the pale. It would be like asking the wolf to protect the sheep. It does have to come from the public, and it's true that people who live in wealthier neighborhoods are not seeing the constant harassment and the frequent brutality that many others witness. I think it's pretty hopeless.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 7:53 pm

bee33 wrote:
The police unions are beyond the pale. It would be like asking the wolf to protect the sheep. It does have to come from the public, and it's true that people who live in wealthier neighborhoods are not seeing the constant harassment and the frequent brutality that many others witness. I think it's pretty hopeless.

All we can do is keep pressing for reforms, some of which will likely need to be drastic. We also need to keep pressing for a better social safety net, so that fewer people will be impelled to commit crimes for economic reasons. We should also press to get rid of unjust, draconian laws.

But, regarding the police, I think the focus needs to be on specific issues and specific evidence-based (or at least well thought out) remedies, NOT on trying to abolish or "defund" the police. I do not believe that a modern civilization can exist without police.

Also, it seems to me that "defunding the police" would result in much MORE police brutality, not less. On the previous page I gave the example of how foot patrols (IF done right!) can be good for "police-community relations," though labor-intensive, hence expensive. Another example is that real, honest detective work is time-consuming and expensive. It is MUCH cheaper and easier to "solve" crimes by grabbing random "suspicious characters" off the street and beating them until they "confess" (probably falsely). And that is why slogans like "defund the police" really scare me.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 11:38 pm

^^^^ Send them to a Mental Hospital ^^^^^^
for examination ?
Pray for a healing ?

where ever you go ,there you are