My exp getting a dog, have 6 kids

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

stratozyck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Today, 12:25 am

We got the dog when we were about to have #4, over 2 1/2 years ago.

In the year or so leading up to it, I went to shelters and asked opinions from staff about dogs to get for kids. Basically all of them said "get a puppy." I did not want to get a puppy because I had a dog before and the puppy stage sucks.

Anyways, I was convinced so we got a puppy.

Let me tell you, that dog "shrunk wrapped" to my kids. As I will explain later, if anything it was too much. My mistake was not socializing her more with neighbors and strangers.

Here is a picture of her just a few minutes ago. https://imgur.com/O0a6q8I

She is half black lab, half beagle mix. She retrieves very well. Very smart, but also VERY neurotic.

So this dog sees my kids as hers. That is a major plus. Downside: she will GO FOR THE KILL to anyone that approaches them.

She goes from this loving dog that kids can pull her ear to like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING NEAR MY KIDS" mode in like a split second.

She is so protective of them, she even sortof bit me once! My oldest son was somewhere where he shouldn't be, and I picked him up to remove him from there. He protested and whined. The dog responded by rather forcefully biting my arm (without breaking the skin) and pry it away from him!

She has protected my kids from each other as well - if one messes with the other she will gently get in between them.

She's amazing in that regard and my wife who actually hates dogs appreciates her for her protectiveness. But, it does make it difficult when we have people over. We have to put her away in another room in a kennel. Otherwise she goes into killer dog mode and is quite scary.

I don't have a vet for her at the moment because I made the mistake of taking my 2nd daughter to the vet with her. Result: dog sees vet as a threat. I am now ordering pet meds from Canada (which is cheaper btw!).

Anyways, thats my experience. My kids absolutely love the dog and the dog loves them.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:53 am

My recommendation is to schedule regular periods on a chain or leash.(In the room with you)
If she's decided she is the guardian she will do that 24/7 resulting in continuous stress.

Giving her time outs where she knows she's off duty will probably help her relax.
(My old Kelpie loved her time outs)
Test and see if you can stay close to the kids, while she's chained.