How are autistic people fundamentally different than NTs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

P. Zombie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Yesterday, 9:40 am

I'm interested in the community's view on this matter. What counts as 'fundamentally different'? I'm not sure :D A working definition could be: a type of experience or a mind / brain mechanism, which autistic people have and NTs don't have or vice versa. Or maybe, there are no fundamental differences, but a continuum of traits which most people have, just not so many and to a lesser extent? Are potential fundamental differences caused by autistic traits themselves or by interactions with (social and non-social) environment? And so on... Both personal experiences and scientific theories are welcome.

Either overthink or don't think at all - there's no middle way.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:23 am

This is a broad question so I'll give my thoughts: I feel some people are scared of us because we are more intelligent than average and they can't figure how to relate to us. Also we don't mind and really prefer being by ourselves.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:24 pm

Its not a question that can easily be answered because autism genes, possible other causes of autism or biology of autism doesn't respect psychology or the 3 categories on a diagnostic bit of paper.

Some autism genes cause ID or epilepsy, tics, anxiety , schizophrenia, balance problems, co-ordination problems & physical health issues.

Others may just be related to social anxiety or communication.

Separating what is what is a work in progress, but for now its just the crude label "autism"

- George Bernie Shaw

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 3:29 pm

the definition of autism most accepted by science today is that autism is "unevenly developed neurology" .

It is to be assumed then, that NT folks' neurology is more evenly developed. There's the difference.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

123autism
Butterfly
Butterfly

Yesterday, 6:32 pm

I'm just as human as anyone, whether 'NT' or autistic.

In terms of differences, these come to mind:

-More introverted
-Less comfortable in certain social environments
-Neurologically different

Being autistic is - in my view - a subjective medical opinion.

Remember, autism is a relatively new phenomenon. For most of human history, someone with autism
would still have to survive without any labels or medical understanding.