Our life expantancy is 58 apparently.

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2024, 2:52 pm

peet wrote:
JamesW wrote:
I'm 60, so I've already beaten the clock.

Alcoholism should have killed me before age 30. I've had a whole extra life.

Is it injury time?

I am only kidding, football reference. I hope you are well.

It's a brilliant reference and makes me very happy. It's exactly what my old friend Frankie used to say to me when we were first getting sober.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:55 am

Double Retired wrote:
And I think as recent as yesterday I, an L1, was very bothered by some things an NT might not've cared about...certainly my Allistic bride wasn't bothered. When we left the house we had a plan: drop some outgoing mail off in the Post Office, pick up a Sunday paper at the grocery store, and then go to a fast-food restaurant we'd never been to before. Things got so off-plan at the first two stops that I was very stressed and getting increasingly irritated and started stimming and adamant about deferring to a different day for trying an unfamiliar restaurant. Yet the only problem my bride (who was driving) had with the trip was me. (We had lunch at the unfamiliar place today...it was delicious! There are a few practical details I'm not quite comfortable with but I'm now OK with going there again.)

That was a good story.

I guess the breakthrough for me was understanding that the destination is not the goal. The journey is the goal.

I avoid driving long distances by hiring a driver to get to the airport. It is best to know one's limitations. I am pretty far from the best driver in the world. I get so immersed in my interior world that I will miss turns, even to familiar destinations. Also,

"Champagne when diagnosed, because then I knew why people were strange."

This is true.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 3:10 am

peet wrote:
Yes, suicide is a part of it. But living so much high cortisol levels and anxiety is very bad for your life expectancy. The main reason why regular exercise is so important.
It similar to trans people. I read something like 50% live past 30 or something like that, mainly because of suicide. Only about 6 months ago gender dysphoria was mandatory to get medical help and legally change your gender in Sweden. Luckily even some of the conservative/right wing people thought, that's bananas. Only the nazi party (SD) and the religious party (CDU) where against it.

As a kid one of my special interest was team sports. I learned lots on how to interact with others and got the exercise. But school wasn't good to me. I enjoyed school up to adolescence. After that, the levels of stress and anxiety became unbearable.
I developed a skill. I could tell how much time that had passed by my anxiety levels within 60 seconds margin of error. That can't be good in the long run, health wise. In my early 20s I entered the planning stage for suicide, no real attempt thou.
I'm 39 and I kind of set on that I won't live until I'm 90. Not that I don't want to but just being realistic...sadness.

Yeah that is true, and I have PTSD on top of the autism so that makes me even a little more afraid of that part because PTSD also makes your body have overreactive stress symptoms, when its not nessisary, like all the stress I have gotten could make my life shorter than it would have been without all that, because for sure stress does take a toll on the body. And for me I attemted suicide when I was 15 and with therapy and stuff I got to a point I did not want to do that anymore and now even though it sucks sometimes I want to live as long as possible but who knows what damage all the stress I have already has caused and i am sure has already shortened my life. So Idk if I will live as long as I'd like to probably not since forever seems good to me, but I am not a vampire someday it will all end and well I don't look forward to it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 3:23 am

Gentleman Argentum wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
And I think as recent as yesterday I, an L1, was very bothered by some things an NT might not've cared about...certainly my Allistic bride wasn't bothered. When we left the house we had a plan: drop some outgoing mail off in the Post Office, pick up a Sunday paper at the grocery store, and then go to a fast-food restaurant we'd never been to before. Things got so off-plan at the first two stops that I was very stressed and getting increasingly irritated and started stimming and adamant about deferring to a different day for trying an unfamiliar restaurant. Yet the only problem my bride (who was driving) had with the trip was me. (We had lunch at the unfamiliar place today...it was delicious! There are a few practical details I'm not quite comfortable with but I'm now OK with going there again.)

That was a good story.

I guess the breakthrough for me was understanding that the destination is not the goal. The journey is the goal.

I avoid driving long distances by hiring a driver to get to the airport. It is best to know one's limitations. I am pretty far from the best driver in the world. I get so immersed in my interior world that I will miss turns, even to familiar destinations. Also,

"Champagne when diagnosed, because then I knew why people were strange."

This is true.

My boyfriend did the same we booked a shuttle to get us to the airport cause my boyfriend didn't want to drive to the denver airport and then try and find parking. but then also I had finally got myself setteled that there is nothign wrong when a plane lifts off and started getting used to the feeling for one flight, from Colorado to Missouri to go visit a friend he had out there. Then a few weeks later we had to go to wisconsin to meet our new baby neice and flight in was normal. but then on the way back from wisconsin when the plane started going into the air their was a big gust of wind and it was getting blown all over for a minute and that scared the crap out of me, but the flight attendents didn't seem scared so that helped me realise everything was fine but still that is the roughest taking off into the sky I ever experienced so it did scare me at first. I did end up paying 13 dollars for an overpriced double shooter and some ginger ale to wash it down cause that flight was making me nervous and so an adult beverage seemed like it might help to calm the old nerves. But yeah idk I am a bit afraid of heights and planes go very high.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:06 am

I have seen all sorts of information online that suggests that the life expectancy is lower for the average, adult autistic person. I think there is some truth to it, and it probably affects a wide range of people from level one down to level three, for different reasons.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
peet wrote:
Yes, suicide is a part of it. But living so much high cortisol levels and anxiety is very bad for your life expectancy. The main reason why regular exercise is so important.
It similar to trans people. I read something like 50% live past 30 or something like that, mainly because of suicide. Only about 6 months ago gender dysphoria was mandatory to get medical help and legally change your gender in Sweden. Luckily even some of the conservative/right wing people thought, that's bananas. Only the nazi party (SD) and the religious party (CDU) where against it.

As a kid one of my special interest was team sports. I learned lots on how to interact with others and got the exercise. But school wasn't good to me. I enjoyed school up to adolescence. After that, the levels of stress and anxiety became unbearable.
I developed a skill. I could tell how much time that had passed by my anxiety levels within 60 seconds margin of error. That can't be good in the long run, health wise. In my early 20s I entered the planning stage for suicide, no real attempt thou.
I'm 39 and I kind of set on that I won't live until I'm 90. Not that I don't want to but just being realistic...sadness.

Yeah that is true, and I have PTSD on top of the autism so that makes me even a little more afraid of that part because PTSD also makes your body have overreactive stress symptoms, when its not nessisary, like all the stress I have gotten could make my life shorter than it would have been without all that, because for sure stress does take a toll on the body. And for me I attemted suicide when I was 15 and with therapy and stuff I got to a point I did not want to do that anymore and now even though it sucks sometimes I want to live as long as possible but who knows what damage all the stress I have already has caused and i am sure has already shortened my life. So Idk if I will live as long as I'd like to probably not since forever seems good to me, but I am not a vampire someday it will all end and well I don't look forward to it.

Yes,, had read about the effects of cortisol on the system..And have been steeped in the stuff since was a baby.
Will not go into the major negative experiences. But have had repeated multiples of them .
Oddly enough had read that average trans person only gets to age to 21 rarely past that..but have seen older .
Just by happenstance ..Pretty amazing stuff people can do with their anatomies .. 8O
And by a large amount of Doctors opinions , it would seem, I should visiting Heaven long ago . .. :(
Using the , home made term..of "Cortisol poisoning".Not a real thing! Found a overly competint much older ER Doctor, that prescribed me Hydrocortisol as a regular or as needed med . He apparently detected something with my heart too,so Dygoxin was ordered too. Pardon the length of Post but the thought process became amazingly clear to me.. Had blood tested most all my life for raging Cortisol levels. And it created eventually many issues, including many suicidal ideations. And other Skin rash side effects,that were NOT dermatological in origin. Mast Cell.Early onset Asthma,etc. :roll: ...high inflammation, in awhole bunch of joints .Nervous disposition..?etc.started a cleaner diet , lots of veggies.
But by adding "Cortisol " over a above normal . The body then reacts to the extra production of Cortisol,using harmless
hydrocortisol,( generally harmless?) And shuts down production . For that period of time . Helping to normalize levels
was the idea. And I am a older Aspie and "beaten the odds"( Gawd willing).. :ninja: Just thought to offer this as a Thought bubble..Long life and Good Health to all, ( provided you wish that) in all your lifes journeys. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 4:18 pm

It's often been said that the Victorians had a lower life expectancy than modern people, but somebody reckoned the average life expectancy is misleading because a lot of Victorian children died very young, which skewed the figures - if you made it to adulthood, you stood as good a chance of achieving longevity as we do these days. Statistical averages are strange like that. The average person has less than two hands. Just food for thought, I really don't know.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:45 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Well, since getting full-time employment and my own place to live there have been a "few" books added to my collection. Oh, and stuff from magazine subscriptions. As technology progressed I've added quite a few CDs. And our movie collection is, um, a few shelves. :roll:
Apparently I was ahead of my time!