Have you ever been in denial of Asperger's/autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TheNet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2024, 6:28 pm

I would sometimes when I was younger claim that I didn't actually have such. I didn't really understand what it was though.

softlyspeaks41
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2024, 9:47 pm

Nope can't say I have

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2024, 12:50 pm

Yes.
And I was 10.

In the year 2005.
Outside the US.

:lol: No internet.
All ignorance.

Time when HFA is a term no one around me seem to had encountered.
Might as well be the first recognized aspie in my city, and that was 4 years after.

My own self argument was that I don't have 'special needs', nor any help in the classroom, clearly do not have low IQ and any need of help with basic daily living.

Regardless, no one knows what to do with me.
Had to take the matters into my own hands. But I was too young, too ignorant, too underprivileged like any child to act upon that yet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2024, 3:42 pm

No. I didn't even know I had Asperger's until I was diagnosed in my late 20s in 2001. And I didn't know anything about Asperger's before then. All I knew was that there were things about me that were strange or different and I could never really explain them and other people didn't understand, anyway.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2024, 3:59 pm

No - for having ASD explained me then so much. I would actually be devastated if someone told it isn't ASD (but the psychologist I go to, claims it is actually ASD - neglected by adults when I was little - she actually uses the term Asperger syndrome) because what else could it be? But so many things fit, it couldn't be an ordinary personality disorder. When I was 13 or 14, I started to read psychology textbooks taken by me from a library and then I was convinced it's the schizoid personality disorder. But no, when I was 19, I accidentally encountered the term AS and instantly came to the conclusion it must be this because what else could it be? It would explain so many things - like my hyperlexia, synaesthesia, dyspraxia etc. - people suffering from personality disorders don't have those. So there must be something fundamentally different about my brain than when it comes to the brains of neurotypical folks.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2024, 4:37 pm

I was my last two years of High School and my first year of College.

ach
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Today, 7:17 am

I do not remember ever being in explicit denial, but I do sometimes doubt that I have Asperger's, think about the symptoms, and have the doubt fade into nothingness.