First time reaching out to a neurodiverse community!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

WeeWeeJefferson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Today, 9:44 am

Hi there!

I'm Chris, a 43yo mature student, reaching out to the interwebs for the first time as a neurodivergent lost soul, seeking community, advice and a sense of belonging.

I'd love to hear from anyone out there, though I apologise in advance if I'm not as active in this space as is typically expected. I've never been a big fan of online communication, but it's something I'd like to work on.

Additionally, as a Psychology student currently preparing for an undergrad project on masking, I'd love to hear any suggestions or thoughts on gaps in the current research. What do people think we need to shine a light on or explore a little more?

:?: :?: :?:

I look forward to hearing from you!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 11:45 am

WeeWeeJefferson, Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You wrote: "as a Psychology student currently preparing for an undergrad project on masking, I'd love to hear any suggestions or thoughts on gaps in the current research."

That is a complex but interesting question. You may not hear this from anyone else but I will try and answer your question. Humans are a very complex creation. This is because we have multiple brains. Some exist on the right side of the skull. This is a support brain which normally exist during our sleep state in REM and NREM sleep. The other side is on the left side of the skull and it is our daytime brain. Around age 12 or 13, these two sides combine together to create a human.

But sometimes we died before we reach this age and sometimes we survive by switching the location of our dominant brains. Our right side becomes dominant and the left side eventually come back and slides into our night time brain. It is a brain flip.

Many people who undergo this (and it is rather common around 50%) find it difficult to relate. I have Asperger's Syndrome. I died around age 3 or 4 when a large bull attacked me and I died. I experienced what is referred to as a Near Death Experience at the time. Masking is just a way that people like myself try to blend into society. We copy the way others (neurotypicals) employ, we try and blend in.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:11 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you decide you like it here.

And as far as not being too active in online communication...this is the only bulletin board I am on. I don't even use Facebook. So I can sympathize.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:30 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 2:13 pm

Hi WWJ and welcome aboard.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

55 minutes ago

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)