Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Traex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2024, 5:43 am

I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia in 2010 and I started reading a lot of books again then as reading is my hobby. At first I could read books over 50 pages a day.

However, since 2016 my reading ability/speed has been dropping gradually. Now I can barely read 6-8 pages a day, and I can't forcefully read faster because then I wouldn't understand/comprehend what I've read. I also have difficulty thinking now, my brain will get tired easily and I'd feel headache or giddy.

What's going on with me and my brain? Do I have Alzheimer's already now?

Ursula
Butterfly
Butterfly

Today, 3:27 pm

If you love reading as I do, then dear read only as fast as you can. I'm not fast, but I can read data quick and I sort and arrange and catalogue at immense speeds.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 3:37 pm

Under periods of mania I've noticed my reading speed and comprehension seem buffed. Same goes for some writing related skills.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 3:41 pm

Schizophrenia is well known to involve what are known as negative symptoms, I'm sure you know this already, but negative symptoms of schizophrenia can include difficulties with thinking or a lack of concentration or focus.

So it is no surprise you have difficulty with reading. Symptoms can wax and wane and abilities can deteriorate over time, it doesn't necessarily mean you have something like Alzheimer's disease.