A simple question about being a genius

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2024, 11:12 am

Can you be a genius if your executive functioning is significantly impaired?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2024, 11:26 am

I can't see why not

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2024, 12:01 pm

We're all genii in our own ways, and we're all impaired in other ways.

(Look it up - "genii" is an acceptable plural)

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2024, 12:15 pm

Yes.

High IQ doesn't mean 'no dysregulation issues'.

While good executive function is dependent on having higher IQ, having higher IQ is not necessarily dependent on good executive function.

Thus ADHD or any EDF issues is not a contradiction nor mutually exclusive from giftedness or having higher IQ.

And those dysregulation issues are not limited to mental faculties and some are even independent from said mental faculties at all.

Executive function is not as simple as just some trait. It's also a type of skill and practice mixed in.

Then there's the difference between executive function (as in neurological, less conscious function in the background), executive function skills (primary skills learnt through exposure and practice), skills coping skills dealing with executive dysfunction (compensations).

Your average IQ with reliable executive function is way more reliable than someone with high IQ with unreliable executive function.

Then there are few types of people who knows how to exploit said dysregulation.
It's actually not common, contrary to the assumption. :|

Then there's having good compensation skills, which some of those with high IQ can access.
Most of which requires more than just self reflection.

And then there's the notorious habit of bypassing executive function skills because the usual way is brute forcing their way out, which just exacerbates on not building basic habits early on by leaning too much on said high IQ.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 18 Oct 2024, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2024, 12:31 pm

I know next to nothing about cars , so didn't get this description of me on another forum

Quote:
'Yes. You’ve got an 800HP engine under the hood, not your fault you came from the factory with Firestone tyres instead of Goodyear. You do a great job of assimilating and processing info. You just can’t do it like most others.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2024, 5:11 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I know next to nothing about cars , so didn't get this description of me on another forum

Quote:
'Yes. You’ve got an 800HP engine under the hood, not your fault you came from the factory with Firestone tyres instead of Goodyear. You do a great job of assimilating and processing info. You just can’t do it like most others.

A better analogy would be that "you're a formula one racing car (dragster) that can do 200 plus mph on a professional race track, with support from a pit crew, but parked in front of the family home you're not much use in going down the street to fetch groceries, nor in taking the family down the road to see grandma."

pokeystinker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2024, 6:47 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Can you be a genius if your executive functioning is significantly impaired?

I don't think so.

(GENESIS)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2024, 7:24 pm

There is a possibility. Look at Kim Peek for example. Another great example is Stephen Hawking. There's a great movie that documents this fact quite nicely. Rain Man.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2024, 9:13 pm

Thank you naturalplastic. That makes sense.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2024, 12:18 pm

What exactly makes a person a genius? My mother has said that when I was around four years old I drew a picture of the hospital I went to have my tonsils taken out with surprising accuracy for a kid my age. I do vaguely remember drawing something like that on some graph paper my dad gave me.

But I can't play chess. I never invented anything that changed the way people live, like the telephone or computers. I never found a way to cure or prevent a deadly disease. I've been told that I'm intelligent, but some days I'm not even sure I'm average. :?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2024, 12:57 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
What exactly makes a person a genius?

They say a certain level of intelligence or higher, and a good amount of creativity. The average person tends to think of it in terms of an IQ score. An attempt to measure creative ability can be found at https://www.datcreativity.com/ . It has its critics. I'm less creative than I was in my 20s and 30s. I just got lucky with this.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 4:42 am

The idea of someone 'being' a genius is relatively modern. Originally someone was said to 'have a genius' and that would be specific to a particular ability.

The genius is something external to the person in this context. A spirit or presence if you like that attaches itself to a person and helps them become exceptionally accomplished in a specific area.

I much prefer that concept and it would allow for someone to be impaired in terms of their executive function.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 1:43 pm

Oh like the alien