Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ursula
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2024, 1:51 pm

Throughout my life I've battled to assert myself, I know asd does this but I need to clarify with others as to how much PTSD affects you. I'm still to this day amazed at how people put best foot forward without having much to offer, is this PTSD or ASD.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2024, 3:02 pm

It's PTSD if it's your beliefs and relationship dynamics ingrained into you, fear and stress based reactions and triggers interfering your socialization.

It's ASD if it's only because of your not well developed emotional, social skills, anything directly related to executive dysfunction or communication issues or any of the combination of.

Mine is largely communication.
Verbal language communication.
Because it's my weaknesses.

No amount of practice, lack of social anxiety, confidence, the whole psych bit and taking over the room by grabbing everyone's attention and command their respect could actually replace the eloquence, enunciations and actually able to word whatever point one is trying to out across.

If you're able to make do with misunderstandings without batting an eye even while having sensory pains, definately not socially induced PTSD.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2024, 3:08 pm

Might it be both?

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Ursula
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Yesterday, 2:01 pm

Thank you, I thought I had avoidant attachment disorder, then I realised I had bit of anxious attachment too. It's all so confusing.

Then I was trying to decide if I'm entj or empath, and so I started comparing myself to others, which probably just worst possible outcome.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:25 pm

I would try to remember that those labels can all exist simultaneously.

If you meet the diagnostic criteria for this or that disorder it doesn't preclude you from also meeting the criteria for others.

Similarly, the other two labels you mention aren't mutually exclusive.

All of those labels are just shorthand to describe different collections of traits and how they're expressed. A lot of people would amass large collections of those labels if they chose to be evaluated for all of the various labels that exist.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:33 pm

I have PTSD and autism. I think they impact each other in certain ways. When I was evaluated for autism, the psychologist said that I had some of the traits of avoidant personality disorder, but she felt that my diagnoses of autism and PTSD explained my symptoms, so she didn’t give me that label.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 7:24 pm

Two labels aren't mutually exclusive.

Avoidant because PTSD is rooted from feelings and beliefs, purely how one is treated regardless of ability.

Avoidant because of ASD is mostly not being able to perform within one's developmental skill.

One can have PTSD because of someone's lacking due to ASD.
But not the other way around -- as PTSD do not cause ASD, but PTSD can reveal ASD if series of events fits the narrative.

Not all those with ASD will develop PTSD.
Common, sure, but PTSD is still a reaction over adverse experience, social or not.

Attachment issues starts at home, and is not necessarily through PTSD.
Though PTSD can cause attachment issues in earlier or later life, ASD may complicate it's process and be prone to it due to societal cluelessness over it.

I insist that those two things are separate.
One is neurology, the other is a human reaction.

I don't believe PTSD is "a part of autism" like anxiety and depression is assumed to be. :roll:

Those are a part of life is sh*t adverse package experiences.
Those are reactions of many people who happened to be autistic in a world that isn't made for them.

And as for one trying to separate the two; that's tricky, especially with alexithymia as a factor in either labels.

I think the main thing that separates them is time and consistency because PTSD is a reaction.
A consequence regardless of one's neurology, not something one always will have.

ASD is not a reaction. Not everyone gets that unlike PTSD.
Having both, however, is serious.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.