Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Traex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2024, 5:43 am

I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia in 2010 and I started reading a lot of books again then as reading is my hobby. At first I could read books over 50 pages a day.

However, since 2016 my reading ability/speed has been dropping gradually. Now I can barely read 6-8 pages a day, and I can't forcefully read faster because then I wouldn't understand/comprehend what I've read. I also have difficulty thinking now, my brain will get tired easily and I'd feel headache or giddy.

What's going on with me and my brain? Do I have Alzheimer's already now?

Ursula
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2024, 3:27 pm

If you love reading as I do, then dear read only as fast as you can. I'm not fast, but I can read data quick and I sort and arrange and catalogue at immense speeds.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2024, 3:37 pm

Under periods of mania I've noticed my reading speed and comprehension seem buffed. Same goes for some writing related skills.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2024, 3:41 pm

Schizophrenia is well known to involve what are known as negative symptoms, I'm sure you know this already, but negative symptoms of schizophrenia can include difficulties with thinking or a lack of concentration or focus.

So it is no surprise you have difficulty with reading. Symptoms can wax and wane and abilities can deteriorate over time, it doesn't necessarily mean you have something like Alzheimer's disease.

misha00
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2024, 8:16 pm

suggestions:

1. write about why you feel like you can't read and try to pinpoint causes
possibilities
a. focusing
b. low energy levels
c. memory impairments
d. some of the above, all of the above, etc
e. antipsychotics, mood stabilizers and other "meds" can cause emotional bluntness and difficulty functioning or reading
2. try listening to audiobooks and see if that improves your ability to retain info
3. see if simple breathing exercizes or even meditating before reading improves comprehension
4. see if you break up sessions into a certain number of 20 minute sessions, (experiment to see which time frame works best)
5. try reading easier to read books (children's books, self-help books, or books that peak your interest)
6. make sure you get fresh air and at least 20 minutes of exercize a day, even if it's just walking.
7. see if reading while doing something else (like listening to music) can help.
8. use a bookmark to block the words below the line you are reading, and read one line at a time
9. try scanning the book and reading faster or slower to get the general idea.
10. try reading poetry and see if it's easier
11. that's it, I'm out of ideas!

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2024, 8:19 pm

misha00 wrote:
suggestions:

possibilities
a. focusing
b. low energy levels
c. memory impairments
e. antipsychotics, mood stabilizers and other "meds" can cause emotional bluntness and difficulty functioning or reading
2. try listening to audiobooks and see if that improves your ability to retain info
3. see if simple breathing exercizes or even meditating before reading improves comprehension
4. see if you break up sessions into a certain number of 20 minute sessions, (experiment to see which time frame works best)
5. try reading easier to read books (children's books, self-help books, or books that peak your interest)
6. make sure you get fresh air and at least 20 minutes of exercize a day, even if it's just walking.
7. see if reading while doing something else (like listening to music) can help.
8. use a bookmark to block the words below the line you are reading, and read one line at a time

I'd be exploring e First.
What's your med list?

Traex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Today, 3:00 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Schizophrenia is well known to involve what are known as negative symptoms, I'm sure you know this already, but negative symptoms of schizophrenia can include difficulties with thinking or a lack of concentration or focus.

So it is no surprise you have difficulty with reading. Symptoms can wax and wane and abilities can deteriorate over time, it doesn't necessarily mean you have something like Alzheimer's disease.

For the first 6 yrs after being diagnosed my reading was still fast (>50 pages a day). Only after that it started declining until now and I can't do anything to recover my last time speed, like resting (no reading) for a few mths.

Traex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Today, 3:20 am

misha00 wrote:
suggestions:

possibilities
a. focusing
b. low energy levels
c. memory impairments

I'm not too sure also what I feel.. I can only read 10-15 sentences at one time, then I need to rest like 1-2 hrs, and continue reading 10-15 sentences again. What I feel after 10-15 sentences is my brain seems to stop comprehending/understanding what I read. So after that I can still read the words (the A-B-C), but I stop understanding their meaning, and I can't understand what that sentence is trying to say/tell me (instant memory loss?)
I also noticed that after I finished reading let's say 1 full book, last time I still could remember a lot of its details what I'd read. But now I can only recall/retell far less details and forget everything else.
So what do you think that's happening?

Btw, I also play online games but only for a short time daily. I rarely exercise though, only walking. I'm not working full-time right now, only have investments. Last time I stopped working (in office) because I felt brain tired, about the same time as my deteriorating reading or thinking ability.
I'm currently still taking Olanzapine and Fluoxetine medicines (already for 14 yrs).

N.B. I'm currently reading a Reader's Digest magazine

Ok, I feel tired (brain giddy) now writing these and need to rest.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 7:48 am

Perhaps these activites aren't as interesting or enjoyable as they once were?

There is now a lot of good online content. One can binge watch on the best episodes of television shows.
In the past we would have to patiently wait to see how a story arc would conclude. Now we no longer have to wait!

When I took up golf I was able to read a bunch of golfing books.
I find it hard to find interesting stuff to read now that I have read those books.