Biden drops out of presidential race

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 7:11 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
SendInTheClowns wrote:
Harris IMO won't win the forthcoming election. She obviously has ability, though seems to lack connection with the public. If she stands then possibly the GenX (?50 million) may boost her vote. For various reasons, it seems Harris is the worst choice the Democrats could make at this juncture.

Trump despises democracy, yet his adherents seem blinded to his numerous bad features, intentions and history - as if they have been hypnotised. And perhaps they have been.

The USA is in great peril :|

I'm not going to count Kamala out yet. Some people wouldn't vote for Trump, but weren't enthused with Biden because of his age and apparent mental decline. These are the voters she can snag. I don't see her taking a lot of votes from Trump, as his supporters vote for him because he gives them permission to be bigoted and hateful, and so wouldn't vote for anyone else, as it is.

The MAGAs will vote for Trump just to vote against Harris, because she is a woman of color.

Even with Project 2025 dangling over us like the Sword of Damocles, whoever the Dems nominate may have an uphill battle.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 7:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
SendInTheClowns wrote:
Harris IMO won't win the forthcoming election. She obviously has ability, though seems to lack connection with the public. If she stands then possibly the GenX (?50 million) may boost her vote. For various reasons, it seems Harris is the worst choice the Democrats could make at this juncture.

Trump despises democracy, yet his adherents seem blinded to his numerous bad features, intentions and history - as if they have been hypnotised. And perhaps they have been.

I'm not going to count Kamala out yet. Some people wouldn't vote for Trump, but weren't enthused with Biden because of his age and apparent mental decline. These are the voters she can snag. I don't see her taking a lot of votes from Trump, as his supporters vote for him because he gives them permission to be bigoted and hateful, and so wouldn't vote for anyone else, as it is.

The MAGAs will vote for Trump just to vote against Harris, because she is a woman of color.

Even with Project 2025 dangling over us like the Sword of Damocles, whoever the Dems nominate may have an uphill battle.

All the more reason to fight.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 1:45 am

the contenders:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... -buttigieg

Whitmer's name keeps cropping up in several articles as a good chance against "O'l Yeller"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 3:10 am

SendInTheClowns wrote:

Your username somehow describes the American political situation right now.

I would put Trump supporters in these groups.

1. The hypnotized cultists you describe
2. Bullies who can’t get away with what they used to get away with as kids. Trump is a surrogate.
3. Those who despite all their bluster deep down inside believe that the bad people winning whomever that means to them is inevitable and want make it as hard as possible. An analogy would be a defeated army burning down everything before they surrender.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 4:38 am

This makes me feel a little hopeful but I still dread the outcome of the election because I think Trump will still win.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 4:43 am

^^I'd propose another category. This is my 'cockroach' theory that I apply also to the rise of the far right in other places.

I think there's a general sense that things are going south, globally, and we're in for a rough period. Most people in the western world have seen their living standards drop since the financial crisis of 2008.

If it's bad now, and things are likely to get worse, I think there's a cohort who would rather have a cockroach in charge, because cockroaches are famously survivalists. They don't like Trump, particularly, but they believe they're better served by having a protectionist leader who do what is necessary to survive. He may be a cockroach, but at least he's their cockroach.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 4:43 am

I do agree that Biden stepping down is the best thing, and could be an opportunity for the Democrats to really change the feel of this election. Before the choice was 'more of this?' or 'more of that?' Now there's a choice for 'something different?' and as we've seen in the UK, that can be very appealing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 8:15 pm

Top Dems threatened to forcibly remove Biden from office unless he dropped out, set him up to fail at Trump debate: Sources

Quote:
Operatives at the very highest levels of the Democratic Party threatened Joe Biden with forcibly removing him from office unless he stepped down, sources told The Post.

The well-orchestrated “palace coup” to stop the faltering president seeking re-election has been in place for weeks, but stubborn Biden fought against it every step of the way, a source close to the Biden family told The Post Monday.

The insider also made clear the anger, paranoia and frustration Biden displayed as the party elite circled around him and piled on the pressure.

Part of the “elaborate” strategy to remove Biden from the race – as he announced in a shock letter posted on X Sunday – was allowing him to debate Republican candidate Donald Trump last month on live TV in Atlanta.

“That debate was a set-up to convince Democrats that he couldn’t run for president,” the source said Monday.

As calls for him to bow out mounted, Biden insisted he would continue, but party bigwigs threatened to invoke the 25th Amendment to the US Constitution.

The amendment allows for the vice president and members of the cabinet to declare he is unfit to serve and force him to step down, the source added.

Although Biden immediately endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris as the Democratic candidate for president, the source said Democratic delegates will be strongly encouraged to instead back Arizona senator and former astronaut Mark Kelly for president at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in August.

Some holdouts have still yet to endorse Harris as Biden’s successor, despite less than a month until the convention and only four months until election day. Most notable among them is former President Barack Obama.

“We will be navigating uncharted waters in the days ahead,” Obama said Sunday.

Democratic Party insiders have also known for at least two years how Biden was in decline, said the source.

“When I saw him a couple of years ago, it was frightening,” said the source. “He was just repeating slogans and had no idea who I was.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Harmonie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2024, 8:38 pm

WTF? Is that real? All of that is awful, and sowing all of this discord in an election like this, where the alternative to Democrats is authoritarianism... They're playing with fire, and I can only hope that Trump loses in the end anyway.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 11:10 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
SendInTheClowns wrote:

And the libs wouldn't do the same thing? Vote for Harris just because she's a woman of color and Trump's a white guy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 11:22 pm

^^^
Before Barack Obama, every guy the Dems had supported were white guys.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 11:29 pm

modernmax wrote:
And the libs wouldn't do the same thing? Vote for Harris just because she's a woman of color and Trump's a white guy.

I'm pretty sure being white is not really among the reasons why 'libs' aren't so fond of Trump.
Call me crazy but I think it's Trump's policies and previous administration that causes them to prefer Harris over Trump.

If Dale Earnhardt Jr. was somehow the Democratic candidate (with an identical platform as Harris) he'd also be strongly preferred by 'libs'.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 11:31 pm

Did Biden make a televised speech or just drop out on X?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2024, 1:34 am

Well Kamala Harris has my vote, if she is going to be the nominee. So idk maybe we get our first woman president, or we get fascism.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2024, 1:44 am

It's weird to me if he didn't make a formal speech.
Something seems rotten in the state of Denmark.

Maybe he's hanging out with Kate Middleton?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2024, 4:00 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Did Biden make a televised speech or just drop out on X?

He published a full resignation letter, then i think there was an excerpt posted on X.