Does Kamala's candidacy make you more hopeful?

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2024, 1:29 pm

Biden handing it off to Harris, AND Trump picking Shady Vance as his running mate.

Both lift my hopes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 11:44 am

IMHO since the last election we had been on this seemingly inevitable rematch that would end up with Trump being reelected. That is a long time in politics. Thus changing the calculus is a reason for some hope. The current Democrat and progressive euphoria while understandable is very premature. Change has been known to make things worse.

In other words I pretty much agree with what has been said so far.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 5:33 pm

the latest polls suggest undecided voters are moving away from trump and want something new. Kamala's sudden popularity is a shock to the MAGAs. Kamala can't seem to do much wrong, I mean if your husbands ex-wife can go in public and support you then you must be doing something right. Her presidency is looking more assured.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 5:38 pm

Didnt GOP Speaker of the House Mike Johnson try to sue the Dems for swapping out their candidate? Kinda as if Charlie Brown were to sue Lucy for pulling the football away and causing him to fall on his ass.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 6:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:
the latest polls suggest undecided voters are moving away from trump and want something new. Kamala's sudden popularity is a shock to the MAGAs. Kamala can't seem to do much wrong, I mean if your husbands ex-wife can go in public and support you then you must be doing something right. Her presidency is looking more assured.

Kamala is the latest in a 9 year run of “this time we really got Trump”. Only Biden was able to actually get him. Kamala will make mistakes, the euphoria about her can only last so long. There is a reason Kamala did not even make it to the primaries last time. I am not saying there is not a valid case for her winning. I am saying 1.She is unproven at the level of scrutiny. 2. It is beyond my comprehension why anybody would underestimate Trump at this point. It is not like he has not been in deep s**t before.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 11:17 pm

It does for that exact reason - I don't think she can win. It'll be nice to have a normal'ish southern border again.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 3:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kamala is the latest in a 9 year run of “this time we really got Trump”. Only Biden was able to actually get him. Kamala will make mistakes, the euphoria about her can only last so long. There is a reason Kamala did not even make it to the primaries last time. I am not saying there is not a valid case for her winning. I am saying 1.She is unproven at the level of scrutiny. 2. It is beyond my comprehension why anybody would underestimate Trump at this point. It is not like he has not been in deep s**t before.

this is valid, once the euphoria wears off I am not sure she can keep coming up with inspirational speeches like Obama. Her best strategy is to put fear of another 4 years of trump.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 3:53 am

Right now it seems like pointing out what creepy weirdos the far-right is seems to be getting under their skin.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 4:02 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Right now it seems like pointing out what creepy weirdos the far-right is seems to be getting under their skin.

She needs to play safe, like Biden, just keep quiet and let trump and his menagerie self-saboutage

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 4:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

She needs to play safe, like Biden, just keep quiet and let trump and his menagerie self-saboutage

Getting under their skin makes them more likely to implode. They're not used to being bullied, they are the bullies and they're quite thin-skinned when it comes to being on the receiving end.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 5:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Getting under their skin makes them more likely to implode. They're not used to being bullied, they are the bullies and they're quite thin-skinned when it comes to being on the receiving end.

Yes, I suspect her advisers will get her to poke the bear at strategically optimal times to exact maximum effect. However, US polls are not so reliable since 2016 so even she may be wary of her immediate popularity. trump remains a dark horse.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 6:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Trump remains a dark horse.

Dark? Try Fuligin

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 6:04 pm

Carbonhalo wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Trump remains a dark horse.

Dark? Try Fuligin

I mean like in a horse race.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 6:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

She doesn't have that luxury. There's enough people that actually like the BS he's spouting that she can't just hide and hope to win. Especially since she didn't earn the nomination in the first place and we don't really know much about what her policy positions are going to be.

That sort of arrogance where the DNC can force a candidate on us and just expect to win is what gave us HRC 2016 as the nominee and Trump as the actual winner.

She has a ton of weaknesses in her career that can and will be attacked. She's going to have to find some way of convincing voters that her turn as AG wasn't as disastrous as it was, you've already got Trump aligned op-eds calling out the hypocrisy of being light on property crimes while having hundreds of drug crime convictions overturned over Brady violations and withholding DNA evidence that was relevant to a capital punishment case.

If she hides the way Biden did, she's definitely going to lose. Especially when people find out that Project 2025 is basically just the same thing as every other election.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 6:20 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
That sort of arrogance where the DNC can force a candidate on us and just expect to win is what gave us HRC 2016 as the nominee and Trump as the actual winner.

She has a ton of weaknesses in her career that can and will be attacked. She's going to have to find some way of convincing voters that her turn as AG wasn't as disastrous as it was, you've already got Trump aligned op-eds calling out the hypocrisy of being light on property crimes while having hundreds of drug crime convictions overturned over Brady violations and withholding DNA evidence that was relevant to a capital punishment case.

If she hides the way Biden did, she's definitely going to lose. Especially when people find out that Project 2025 is basically just the same thing as every other election.

to be fair, Biden was also untested electorally when he went up against trump in 2020. Biden also had a lot of skeletons in his closet. I think Harris is quietly confident based on the polls, she's relatively young and will be (if elected) the first female president which will have a swing effect on female voters. But I wouldn't stake a lot on her winning till the actual election as american voters are quite fickled these days.

I suspect in addition to any dirt the republicans can drag on Kamala Harris, they will go back to 2016 and look at how segments of the US voters perceived a female president might not be a strong enough leader (this strategy worked against Hillary).

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 6:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:

to be fair, Biden was also untested electorally when he went up against trump in 2020. Biden also had a lot of skeletons in his closet. I think Harris is quietly confident based on the polls, she's relatively young and will be (if elected) the first female president which will have a swing effect on female voters. But I wouldn't stake a lot on her winning till the actual election as american voters are quite fickled these days.

I suspect in addition to any dirt the republicans can drag on Kamala Harris, they will go back to 2016 and look at how segments of the US voters perceived a female president might not be a strong enough leader (this strategy worked against Hillary).

Honestly, we're going to have to see, because there isn't exactly anything that I can do to get them to at least try other candidates that may not have the same amount of luggage. But, if they skip the primaries and don't bother to really campaign either, I just don't see how they're going to have the turnout necessary to win.