Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2024, 6:06 pm

steve30 wrote:
I'm really at a complete loss as to what these "superpowers" are.

Loneliness?
Depression?
Anxiety?
Being a slow learner?

Doesn't sound like much of a superpower to me.

None of those are inherent to being autistic. They are quite common, but hardly universal. And the first three might not even be as common in the future as they are now.

That being said, the "superpowers" that do crop up from time to time are also not universal to the autistic experience either. People getting salty over the term kind of miss the point. If you didn't personally get exceptional abilities in the deal, that's unfortunate, but that doesn't mean that others aren't entitled to view one ability or another as being a superpower if it is that extraordinary.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2024, 6:09 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
Guess I'm a fantasy figure because I consider it a super power

No, you're just not much different from the guys who drive bro trucks because they're worried they're not man enough without one.

It's a way people with wounded egos protect their wound.

And what does that say about folks that compulsively crap on them? The reality is that there is a portion of the autistic community that does have some ability that is so far above and beyond the norm that referring to it as a superpower isn't unreasonable. It is a bit of puffery, but not unreasonable.

I do agree that calling autism itself a superpower isn't helpful, but that doesn't meant hat some of us do have abilities that are well above and beyond the norm as a direct result of the abnormal brain wiring.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 1:15 am

Everyone is entitled to say if their autism is their blessing or curse or both. Whatever their human reaction is.
Just do they are entitled to say if their autism is a disability or a superpower or both. Whatever their performative outcomes are.

:lol: Representation? Stereotypes?
That's just a matter of, I dunno, 'who gets the most attention and advertisement'.
That's what's being lumped over one with another as opposed to individualized factors and outcomes.

But sure, the overall advertisement that autism is a superpower assumes that it's a universal experience and representation.

What, would you rather advertise that autism is a curse and only a disability? :twisted:
Sure one would feel validated and be seen of struggles -- but how would onlookers react?

Pity? Disgust?
Not empathy and understanding that's for certain. Well, not yet.
People aren't ready yet; they don't understand it well yet -- I'll give it another half a decade the earliest.

Some would feel validated on their anti-vax and eugenicist based beliefs instead. :twisted: Or worse mob other autistics down despite their 'intentions'. :roll:

How does one advertise the 'suffering' of autistics without giving an inch and take a mile to some stupid loud opinionated people's agendas (particularly getting rid of autistic people, or insisting the toxic view that neurotypicality is the only right way to live)?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 6:49 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

No, you're just not much different from the guys who drive bro trucks because they're worried they're not man enough without one.

And what does that say about folks that compulsively crap on them? The reality is that there is a portion of the autistic community that does have some ability that is so far above and beyond the norm that referring to it as a superpower isn't unreasonable. It is a bit of puffery, but not unreasonable.

I do agree that calling autism itself a superpower isn't helpful, but that doesn't meant hat some of us do have abilities that are well above and beyond the norm as a direct result of the abnormal brain wiring.

But since some NT have these abilities too it raises the question does the autistic person have this “superpower” because of the autism or is it just statistical chance throughout the population.

NT have unusual abilities but an autistic person has similar ones it’s unusual unexpected and suddenly called a “superpower”.

- George Bernie Shaw

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 7:01 am

I think the first time I heard someone talk of their autism as a superpower was Greta Thunberg. In her case the superpower is that it allows her to be laser focused and unwavering in her commitment to raising awareness about a topic that she considers overwhelmingly important. I think in her case it fits, and there are probably others for whom it fits as well.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 12:10 pm

carlos55 wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

But since some NT have these abilities too it raises the question does the autistic person have this “superpower” because of the autism or is it just statistical chance throughout the population.

NT have unusual abilities but an autistic person has similar ones it’s unusual unexpected and suddenly called a “superpower”.

Not really, only if you're setting the bar somewhere around the basement. People shouldn't be claiming that merely unusual abilities are superpowers.

The kinds of stuff that would reasonably qualify as a super power are basically never found in NTs. The closest thing would be something like tetarchromatic vision, where there really isn't anything in particular in the brain that's required to make that work

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 5:19 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

I agree with your last clause and believe that focusing on those specific traits as benefits, rather than on autism as a whole would significantly change the reaction.

Yes, I'm bitter towards the idea of something that largely causes me problems being framed as a superpower. You can go ahead and observe that without my feelings being hurt as a result.

I wouldn't say my sh*****g on the idea of autism as a superpower is compulsive, it's reactionary in response to people insisting autism is their superpower.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 5:21 pm

We’ll give an example of a “superpower” then?

I’ll go first attention to detail there’s millions of NT working in the fields that requires attention to detail, administrators, data inputers , proof readers, detectives the list goes on are most autistic no..

Another memory…

In the UK London taxi drivers have to memorise every street in London it takes years to learn AKA “the knowledge”

How many are autistic… very few prob

- George Bernie Shaw

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 3:47 am

The more I think about it the more obvious that these so called “superpowers” are just a myth that both NT’s and autistic people have entertained the idea of for years.

Heightened abilities exist statistically throughout the human population including NT population many jobs require them as a core skill (prev comment)

The only difference is increased focus among autistic people which is a euphemism for “restricted interest” .

Something classed as a negative if it filters out and blocks other useful things.

Something I notice myself doing often with something. While it has its uses it can also be a problem too.

- George Bernie Shaw

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 4:05 am

Elon Musk: Hold my beer

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 6:04 am

carlos55 wrote:
The more I think about it the more obvious that these so called “superpowers” are just a myth that both NT’s and autistic people have entertained the idea of for years.

Heightened abilities exist statistically throughout the human population including NT population many jobs require them as a core skill (prev comment)

The only difference is increased focus among autistic people which is a euphemism for “restricted interest” .

Something classed as a negative if it filters out and blocks other useful things.

Something I notice myself doing often with something. While it has its uses it can also be a problem too.

Some said 'superpowers' are not inherently positive or negative by itself.
'Attention to details' while a boasted trait, is not necessarily all positive.

The superfocus and attention to details is something that many autistics would default themselves to, across their development, regardless of their circumstances and scenarios.

NTs don't. They either have to attain greater passion or greater urgency to eventually develop the same habit.
'Attention to details' is their job skillset, not a part of their daily living processes in every waking moment that either may benefit at the right time and place, or be detrimental to them at the wrong time and place like how it is with autism.

Like, are all NTs taxi drivers and sales clerks as opposed to an autistic who happened to be obsessed with roadmaps and prices?
Like, are all autistics engineers and scientists as opposed to NTs 'pick and choose a career/skill'? I don't even believe in the hype of the latter as far as I observed real life.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 7:27 am

"Superpower" can be a accurate name as it correctly conveys the situation.
Someone who shows a superpower makes normal people nervous.
And normal people tend to make unreasonable expectations on those with superpowers.

Which is exactly what a lot of those on the spectrum experience.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 8:07 am

Edna3362 wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

The superfocus and attention to details is something that many autistics would default themselves to, across their development, regardless of their circumstances and scenarios.

NTs don't. They either have to attain greater passion or greater urgency to eventually develop the same habit.
'Attention to details' is their job skillset, not a part of their daily living processes in every waking moment that either may benefit at the right time and place, or be detrimental to them at the wrong time and place like how it is with autism.

Like, are all NTs taxi drivers and sales clerks as opposed to an autistic who happened to be obsessed with roadmaps and prices?
Like, are all autistics engineers and scientists as opposed to NTs 'pick and choose a career/skill'? I don't even believe in the hype of the latter as far as I observed real life.

These traits are skills NT people take from their jobs and apply 100% of the time

I suspect the police detective doesn’t switch off his skills for attention to detail when he clocks off his shift.

Same for the other traits , London taxi drivers were shown in MRI scans to have a
larger than average part of their brain associated with memory, maybe they were born with that or it grew with time who knows?

The other things you mentioned are associated with fixed interests, one of the key diagnostic traits for autism.

Thought of as a negative as it can get in the way of other things that can and are usually be important.

- George Bernie Shaw

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 8:27 am

carlos55 wrote:

That just makes me think that as a group we're seen as being intellectually inferior to NTs as a group.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 8:43 am

carlos55 wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

These traits are skills NT people take from their jobs and apply 100% of the time

I suspect the police detective doesn’t switch off his skills for attention to detail when he clocks off his shift.

Same for the other traits , London taxi drivers were shown in MRI scans to have a
larger than average part of their brain associated with memory, maybe they were born with that or it grew with time who knows?

The other things you mentioned are associated with fixed interests, one of the key diagnostic traits for autism.

Thought of as a negative as it can get in the way of other things that can and are usually be important.

Police detectives? Sure.
Because that involves people.
And even so, I don't believe in the hype either unless you've lived with one and saw them yourself.

But accountants, data analysts, archivists, programmers, hyperrealism artists? Nuh uh.

Attention to details in NTs are more nuanced and more specific that unlike how it works with autistics overall.
Same outcomes, but may not even the same thing in virtue.

And as I said; it's not necessarily a positive or a negative trait.
A diagnostic trait? Ain't that a point that distinguishes the seemingly same ability of said boasted trait from how NTs similarly do it?

I don't have a lot of care around 'traits' and 'symptoms' myself -- let alone superpowers and disability.
Theorizing stats sounds good and all, but I prefer the personal, doable presents.

And even if you get the numbers you want to affirm your beliefs around autism -- what does that exactly accomplishes other than understanding whatever standard and metric used?

Sure not all autistics can make do with whatever their autism gave them and actually make it more useful than whatever the general populace do.
But that's because that's more or less how NTs live; they generally don't go beyond 'good enough', along with the myths of talents.

But the same can be said to NTs, and humans in general.
So what if NTs 'can have them too'? :lol: NTs can choose not to have them either. Or even lose them.

It kinda doesn't help the fact that this world doesn't even know how to raise autistics properly and how that actually looks like.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 1:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Elon Musk: Hold my beer

His superpower is being able to make wearing a leather jacket and telling people to go f**k themselves look uncool. :skull:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell