Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2024, 9:28 pm

I'm referring to the white stretchy crew socks sold at Walmart. They come out of the dryer so lumpy and shrivelled I used to hate touching my son's and had no idea how he could wear such a thing. I have ADHD and don't sort my laundry piles or do socks / whites separately. I'm lucky if I even find people's socks to match up afterward. I know that's my own issue but other brands of socks seemed to fair much better than those things. It's like they shrivelled up from all the elastic.

Myself, I'm a barefoot person. I can't stand my feet covered in anything, even in the snow, or I have meltdowns. Knit socks would be torture for me.

My daughter wears expensive cute socks now but she still has issues with toe line, which started when she was a toddler. If she can feel that seam at all she has to rip them off.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 9:15 am

I'm not sure if such thing exists.

I imagine at least 3 main features; no seams, no 'roughness', and not lumpy or bumpy or anything that would feel as if something else is sewn in or put in there.

Anything else (length, pressure, color, thickness, material type, elasticity, sizes) is entirely individual.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 9:48 am

I don't know if it has anything to do with being an Aspie but I have always worn diabetic socks; (I don't have diabetes) I still have to make an incision in the elastic. I am not overweight but I do exercise regularly and I have for 50+ years. I did find a source on the internet (Extra Wide Sock Co.) but $9.00 for a single pair of socks I felt was too much.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 12:39 pm

I've never tried diabetic socks, but I have heard they don't have the issues with seams. I mentioned this in another thread, but having issues with socks is why a couple times I went through a phase where I just didn't wear socks as I was just so frustrated with the whole thing.

I have had ok luck with Adidas socks, I usually wear the quarter socks, short ones that cover the ankles, no shows always get twisted in my shoes. Gold toes I cannot do and Walmart socks, yeah there cheap for a reason. I find not putting socks in the dryer actually helps them to keep their shape and not shrink.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 1:05 pm

Diabetic socks .... :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Canadian Freedom Lover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2024, 5:02 pm

Aspinator wrote:
I don't know if it has anything to do with being an Aspie but I have always worn diabetic socks; (I don't have diabetes) I still have to make an incision in the elastic. I am not overweight but I do exercise regularly and I have for 50+ years. I did find a source on the internet (Extra Wide Sock Co.) but $9.00 for a single pair of socks I felt was too much.

I might have to try those.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 5:51 pm

Jakki wrote:
Diabetic socks .... :D

They need insolin?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 5:53 pm

Aspinator wrote:

Yes. Can be hard to find lose fitting socks. Had not heard about diabetic socks.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 7:44 pm

Very soft socks = diabetic socks .Lots of elastic , but sewn ln very Loose . lots of cotton .

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 8:55 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
What are panythose? Hosepipes in pants? No idea! Sorry for my guessing.Going to look it up. Just looked at images and just shows countless pictures of women. What should I be looking at? Some wear skirts, others in dresses... Cant see their pants. Am I missing something?

Pantyhose are also called nylons or stockings.

Thanks. Didn't know that.

When I was a tiny little boy in Germany, I wore Strumpfhosen.
All the other little german boys were wearing them too. My American mother thought it was cute and I was much too young to care.

The word “Strumpfhosen” comes from German. It is a compound word:

• “Strumpf” means “sock” or “stocking” in German.
• “Hose” means “pants” or “trousers.”

So, “Strumpfhosen” literally translates to “stocking pants” or “tights” in English.

Lederhosen are traditional German and Austrian garments made of leather. They are typically knee-length shorts or pants, often worn with suspenders.

The name “Lederhosen” translates to “leather pants” in English, with “Leder” meaning “leather” and “Hosen” meaning “pants” or “trousers.” They are commonly associated with Bavarian folk culture and are worn during festivals like Oktoberfest.

Pantyhose combine nylon approximation of silk stockings with women’s underpants, commonly called “panty” or “panties”. The resulting garment covers the feet, legs, and hips, and anything in between. In the U.S. and Canada such an article of apparel is commonly worn by women and would be outside of the experience of most men. A woman wearing pantyhose under a skirt may appear to have bare legs to the casual observer - so if you google for images the results may not be informative.

If you are hypersensitive to touch or pressure and find socks uncomfortable pantyhose may be even more uncomfortable. Idiomaticly, Isabella meant something like “if you think socks are uncomfortable your discomfort is small in comparison to my own experience when wearing pantyhose, as you might learn if you were to try wearing pantyhose yourself (which I think is unlikely as I am a women and you are a man)”.

The tone was meant to be slightly humorous, and was not intended as a suggestion, or a solution to your problem.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 11:50 pm

Fat cotton fuzzy boot socks ....or bed sock for those of you with cold feet ...even carried away with the genuine idea of a bed hat ..? stocking cap ....perhaps you need to have spent extended periods of time in colder than average climates.
Or even if your head is cool at night or fat fluffy bed socks....this could be hard for some people whom might want their feet open.. have met many people like that ..But sometimes living conditions can get down to a single pot belly stove.
To try the heat most of a house...Sometimes pajamas made sense in earlier times . And a nighty is nowhere near enough.....Finding a looser weave pair of cotton boot socks ..Can give you comfort .And. alittle extra cush..for those
of us with poor proprioception that stumb there toes or feet into things ....Some of us more often than not :roll:

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 11:29 am

Socks sold as "all cotton" or "all wool" will not have elastic in them. The woven pattern itself may offer some "spring" but cotton and wool are not very springy themselves and so will not constrict the feet and calfs as much. Such socks, in my experience, have a tendency to fall down. In old movies you can see men wearing "garters" which are kind of a elastic strap with a clip to keep your socks up. Think "suspenders for socks". The "garter" was invented when socks were made of material with no elastic in them, which had a tendency to fall down. If you have hypersensitivity to touch a garter may not be a helpful solution.

Some men are wearing socks that do not come up above the ankle, and so don't show when, for example, wearing sneakers. These may allow wearing a larger size sock, or a sock without elastic, without having them fall down.

To find ankle-high socks for men on a website like Amazon or Walmart, you can use the following search terms:
Men's Ankle Socks
Men's Low Cut Socks
Men's No-Show Socks
Men's Crew Socks (though crew socks are typically slightly higher than ankle socks, some may be shorter)
Men's Short Socks
These terms should help you locate the specific style of socks you're looking for.

Also:
Toe socks are socks that have individual compartments for each toe, similar to how gloves have separate fingers. This design allows each toe to move more freely and can help reduce discomfort caused by toes rubbing together.

Brands like Happiest Baby, SmartKnit, and Darn Tough often provide socks specifically designed with sensory needs in mind.

I like Smartwool socks which are made of wool with some other fibers and elastic to make them feel soft and comfortable and not scratchy. Also they stay comfortable even when wet, so I have even found them comfortable in the summer (the lighter weight items) because they keep my feet from feeling sweaty. Definite must for winter camping or hiking in the rain.

Disclosure: I do not often experience hypersensitivity to touch.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 11:29 am

Sock liners are thin, lightweight socks or foot coverings worn under regular socks or on their own. They serve several purposes, including reducing friction, preventing blisters, and adding an extra layer of comfort.

Key Features of Sock Liners:

1. Thin and Lightweight: Sock liners are designed to be much thinner than regular socks. They fit snugly against the foot and provide a minimal layer of fabric.

2. Moisture-Wicking: Many sock liners are made from materials that wick moisture away from the skin, helping to keep feet dry and reduce the risk of blisters.

3. Comfort and Protection: They add a layer of cushioning and can help prevent irritation from seams or rough spots in regular socks or shoes.

4. Versatility: Sock liners can be worn on their own or as a layer under other socks, providing extra comfort or managing moisture.

Materials:

Sock liners can be made from various materials, including:

- Cotton: Soft and breathable, but may not be as moisture-wicking as synthetic options.
- Bamboo: Known for its softness and natural moisture-wicking properties.
- Synthetic Fibers: Such as polyester or nylon, which are often chosen for their moisture-wicking and durability.
- Silk: Some sock liners are made from silk or include a silk blend. Silk is known for its softness and natural temperature regulation, but it may be less durable and not as moisture-wicking as synthetic materials.

Usage Suggestions:

- Blister Prevention: Wearing a sock liner under your regular socks can help reduce friction and prevent blisters, especially during physical activities.
- Comfort Enhancement: If you find your regular socks too rough or irritating, adding a liner can provide an additional layer of comfort.
- Temperature Regulation: In cold weather, sock liners can provide an extra layer of warmth without adding bulk.

Sock liners are a versatile and useful addition to footwear, particularly for individuals with sensory sensitivities or those looking for additional comfort.

Tanhauser
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Sep 2024, 2:57 pm

I don't wear anything other than high merino wool content hiking socks, they are a lot thicker and fit much more comfortably than the elasticky cheap socks you get in supermarkets, particularly because they don't squeeze your feet nearly as much.

And they last forever, I have pairs that are a decade old that still fit perfectly, good socks are worth the investment

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 6:28 pm

Socks made from Alpaca wool are hypoallergenic , and often very soft and thick weave. pretty long life socks too.

Canadian Freedom Lover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Yesterday, 11:50 pm

Update: I found the solution!

I just started wearing Work Load Brand wool crew socks and they are the answer to my tight sock problem. They have very little elastic and surprisingly not super hot. I highly reconmend them.

Although, I wouldn't wear them in the summer because they do insulate because than your cotton or polyester sock. Also, if you are sensitive to scratchy fabrics wool may not be for you.

Here is the link if you are interested in looking into them: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/workload-m ... 0110751942