Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 9:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Many of them do not 'look Chinese',

Sorry I don't understand this?

You literally said ;
Quote:
It's important to note that observing Chinese looking people in your neighborhood does not actually mean they are Chinese.

And I did took account of that.

One can be of Chinese descent without physical indications of said heritage from where I came from.

I'm not gonna explain the history of how Philippines dealt with Chinese people since hundreds BC along with other countries. :?

And I'm not gonna explain the modern situations of their current (several generations) descendants and their recent to first generation counterparts, and how so many of them are starting or owning business, big or small, left and right.

The point is that;

Business and successful types have the 'ID/Special kids are lucky charms' belief. Many of which did kept this belief.

Those of lower social economic status or do not engage with a lot of business making or suck at it do not.

The former is much more common than the latter.
And no, they're not necessarily treated well or any better because of such belief but they're certainly lived more comfortably because, well, money.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 10:36 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
One can be of Chinese descent without physical indications of said heritage from where I came from.
I'm not gonna explain the history of how Philippines dealt with Chinese people since hundreds BC along with other countries. :?

Can you give examples? Are you talking about people who have one chinese ancestor but who no longer physically resembe their ancestor due to assimilation?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 10:37 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
And I'm not gonna explain the modern situations of their current (several generations) descendants and their recent to first generation counterparts, and how so many of them are starting or owning business, big or small, left and right.

Ok, is this multigenerational ethnic Chinese living outside China?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 10:40 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Business and successful types have the 'ID/Special kids are lucky charms' belief. Many of which did kept this belief.

Those of lower social economic status or do not engage with a lot of business making or suck at it do not.

And no, they're not necessarily treated well or any better because of such belief but they're certainly lived more comfortably because, well, money.

My friend who married a Singaporean Chinese wife is very wealthy but had to leave Singapore because his ASD son was being horribly bullied in school and was being ignored by teachers who were hoping to get him expelled.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 10:58 pm

I knew this was going to turn racist.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 10:59 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I knew this was going to turn racist.

I'm just asking how one can not look Chinese but be Chinese

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 11:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

Can you give examples? Are you talking about people who have one chinese ancestor but who no longer physically resembe their ancestor due to assimilation?

Nope.

I'm talking about generations of intermarriages between many two different Chinese decents. And even with that in mind, they may not necessarily looked Chinese.

Unless they're of lower social status, who usually go elsewhere than stay or fade into obscurity, they maintain this standard of who to marry.
So yeah, some arrange marriages still exists.
It's not just the bloodline, but also the household practices, mindsets, attitudes...

But if you're talking about that, precisely (having at least one ancestor) that would be around 20% of this country's population.
Doesn't necessarily mean they've maintained the same culture, retain or learn languages, participated in the same practices and beliefs...

Heck, some of them do look and can pass as Chinese, but do not act or think like one.
I have relatives that can pass for Chinese, but has no or has forgotten Chinese ancestor/s, likely past 5+ generations.

'Looks' can be increasingly less relevant if one isn't so biased over said looks.

Hell, my own dad can pass as Mexican in the US...
But I'm hell sure don't have or claim to have Mexican ancestry in my paternal line for the past 6+ generations.

Nor I myself and my sister passed like one.
Nor my household and my relatives participated the same beliefs and practices unless it's those widely similarly common and collective traditional stuff that a good 90%+ of this country would participate thanks to the Spanish colonialism.

And 'ethnicity' is not limited to just having an ancestor or being a decent of one.

As for the copium remark, yeah -- usually used by non-Chinese ethnic families.

And many of them ate them up as a way to accept their respective ND or disabled kids, mix it with some religious factor around beliefs in destiny or 'gods plan'.
Whether as a lesson, as a form of protection, or whatever is making the household stop being a denier and start working harder because there has to be a 'reason' why they get an not-NT or/and not-able bodied kid.

cyberdad wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

Ok, is this multigenerational ethnic Chinese living outside China?

Yep.

Inside the country and outside the country.
In China and in different host countries outside this country.

Whether they're economically well off or not.
cyberdad wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

My friend who married a Singaporean Chinese wife is very wealthy but had to leave Singapore because his ASD son was being horribly bullied in school and was being ignored by teachers who were hoping to get him expelled.

Singapore has terrible caretaker culture, with the same fast paced and hyper competitive standards around East Asia unlike in this country, which is relatively more into mediocrity and slow paced way of living.

Even I definitely can imagine that I cannot survive being born there.

The belief, I'm sure, is imported and is coming from a religion with a concept of karma, which implies not Christian but is something to do with earlier Indian influences (in which we also do have past and present South Asian immigrants and way earlier South Asian influences, too, doing more or less the same businesses as the Chinese but not as widespread in the capital, not as well known successful); which also imply long before Spanish colonial period.

Sure Singapore has more or less the same historical past as the rest of Southeast Asia that's interacted with East and South Asia, but the trajectory of this country is quite different, and so do Singapore itself from the rest if one knows how to learn it's circumstances.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2024, 12:35 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Singapore has terrible caretaker culture, with the same fast paced and hyper competitive standards around East Asia unlike in this country, which is relatively more into mediocrity and slow paced way of living.

Even I definitely can imagine that I cannot survive being born there.

Sure Singapore has more or less the same historical past as the rest of Southeast Asia that's interacted with East and South Asia, but the trajectory of this country is quite different, and so do Singapore itself from the rest if one knows how to learn it's circumstances.

Yes my friend said the same thing as you.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2024, 12:39 am

Edna3362 wrote:
The belief, I'm sure, is imported and is coming from a religion with a concept of karma, which implies not Christian but is something to do with earlier Indian influences (in which we also do have past and present South Asian immigrants and way earlier South Asian influences, too, doing more or less the same businesses as the Chinese but not as widespread in the capital, not as well known successful); which also imply long before Spanish colonial period.

Yes karma is also part of buddhist belief and Buddhism is practiced by 1 in 3 Singaporeans which makes it the dominant religion in Singapore and among Chinese Singaporeans.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2024, 12:45 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I'm talking about generations of intermarriages between many two different Chinese decents. And even with that in mind, they may not necessarily looked Chinese.
But if you're talking about that, precisely (having at least one ancestor) that would be around 20% of this country's population.
Doesn't necessarily mean they've maintained the same culture, retain or learn languages, participated in the same practices and beliefs...
Heck, some of them do look and can pass as Chinese, but do not act or think like one.
I have relatives that can pass for Chinese, but has no or has forgotten Chinese ancestor/s, likely past 5+ generations.
'Looks' can be increasingly less relevant if one isn't so biased over said looks.
Hell, my own dad can pass as Mexican in the US...
But I'm hell sure don't have or claim to have Mexican ancestry in my paternal line for the past 6+ generations.
Nor I myself and my sister passed like one.
Nor my household and my relatives participated the same beliefs and practices unless it's those widely similarly common and collective traditional stuff that a good 90%+ of this country would participate thanks to the Spanish colonialism.
And 'ethnicity' is not limited to just having an ancestor or being a decent of one.

I see, I guess I mistook the dominant Han Chinese ethnicity having some level of agreement on what appearance constitutes being Chinese. For example 500,000 Africans live in China with 100,000 living in Guanzhou. Despite speaking Chinese and often marrying Chinese, they are still not considered Chinese.