Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 5:32 pm

steve30 wrote:
I just found the Royal College of Psychiatrists (here in England) has an excellent web page about stopping anti depressants. It includes examples about the symptoms, how to taper, and even breaking up extended release capsules. Its well worth a read:

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mental-health ... epressants

Thank you for sharing, Steve! I appreciate it! I'll definitely take a look at it!

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 5:46 am

Just as an update but I spoke to my Doctor on Wednesday and he's going to try and wean me off my Paxil. He wants to drop my dosage down to 12.5 mg extended release for two weeks and then have me take it every other day for another two weeks. I'm sort of scared of how that's going to go but it's worth trying and see what happens. He wants me to follow-up in a couple weeks. Worse comes to worse I can always go back up.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Sep 2024, 7:44 am

Sounds like a plan - I hope it works out Ok!

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 7:46 am

Thank you, Cornflake! I appreciate it! :)

steve30
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2024, 1:32 pm

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. Hopefully it will be OK, but you can always go slower if you need to.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 9:21 pm

steve30 wrote:
Good luck, and let us know how you get on. Hopefully it will be OK, but you can always go slower if you need to.

Thank you, Steve! I appreciate it and will do :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2024, 12:51 am

Yeah best of luck kid

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 9:39 pm

Thank you, Babybird!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 10:09 pm

skeletorium Tortusium..... Zembrin ...can be 0btained without a script ,, it works. ( for me)....
Paxil was my standard for many years .. till , I
appeared to realize it was not helping me.. So instead of cutting pills if not practical..started changing the days apart from each other, till I was .. reduced to twice a week ..They had tried me on many different, most all already mentioned had to wean myself off all of them..With various poor effects all the way to seizures from welbutrin until , it seemed that it was not helping, and turned to nutrition ....successfully . and employ use of Nootropics to give me better balance,during the bad days .. once in a while my sinus congestion pills. And a energy drink some days that contain taurine ,amino acid, which helps with recover from any wear off effects.(only difficult days. That ,I know will be hard.) The good nutrition helps your body sustain stressors sometimes.
but these are my experiences...no med advise intended.Best Wishes to you with your situations

where ever you go ,there you are

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2024, 9:43 pm

Jakki wrote:
skeletorium Tortusium..... Zembrin ...can be 0btained without a script ,, it works. ( for me)....
Paxil was my standard for many years .. till , I
appeared to realize it was not helping me.. So instead of cutting pills if not practical..started changing the days apart from each other, till I was .. reduced to twice a week ..They had tried me on many different, most all already mentioned had to wean myself off all of them..With various poor effects all the way to seizures from welbutrin until , it seemed that it was not helping, and turned to nutrition ....successfully . and employ use of Nootropics to give me better balance,during the bad days .. once in a while my sinus congestion pills. And a energy drink some days that contain taurine ,amino acid, which helps with recover from any wear off effects.(only difficult days. That ,I know will be hard.) The good nutrition helps your body sustain stressors sometimes.
but these are my experiences...no med advise intended.Best Wishes to you with your situations

Thank you for sharing Jakki! I will have to look into those. My Paxil tapering hasn't been going very well. The past couple of days I felt very sick like I'm almost dying. I feel like I'm running a fever but I'm not. Last night after I took Prozac I started to feel like I was hearing things that weren't there. I was trying to take 12.5 mg of Paxil and then take 10 mg of Prozac as a bridge but it's just not working ok. I think I am going to talk to my Doctor about going back up to 25 mg of Paxil again to get stable. I'm hoping I can improve in a day or so. I am going to look into what you mentioned! I appreciate you sharing it with me :)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 1:00 am

^^^^^ Nootropics maynot be adviseable when your on other things affecting your brain .^^^^^
Please allow me to share something a good friend told me....SSRIs , are suppose to be Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitors....So if a med is suppose to help your body ration its amounts of available Seratonin . (Making it more available or less available)? But if you supplement your brain/ body with Extra Seratonin ? or the precise nutrients that the human body uses to produce Seratonin ....might be a better way to deal with a long term or short term depletion
of Seratonin. And those are available at some drug stores , most all vitamin stores, they are the Amino Acids your body normally produces to create seratonin....And I agree with my friend from my own experiences , based on that advise.

so alittle bit of extremely well documented Research,books , anything i could find on stuff .helped me alot ....And just like other brain processes, the body may take aweek to get production up to what a average person might need .For whatever dosage you deem safe.
three I tried were Melatonin , L-Tyrptophan,and .L- Theanine. As i have been told stuff you ingest that are food type products, suppLements included,Are used to whatever the body can apply them....and because they are only precusors
was informed that excess supplements most likely will process through , normal body elimination methods....
But after enough experiences people including Doctors , all just make educated guesses, they do not live in my body.
Am wanting know, and research whats ,,what? .....especially with stuff I allow others to suggest that I ingest,that may have psyche symptoms. Know this is a pain, but if you have to see any medical people especially MDs have a friend go with you as a witness.....Modern medicine ..,is not what its cracked up to be imho....My Father was a DO,,Rest in Peace @ 93, old school type Doc .....set the grounds for my Research . And also had a PDR to read. To check prescribed meds out...Real World advise ! :ninja: ..best wishes
Disclaimer:( Not meant to preclude anyones doctors advise)

pokeystinker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2024, 10:15 am

steve30 wrote:
Good luck.

I've been anti depressant free for 3 years now. It is possible, but it needs patience with the withdrawal symptoms.

I haven't used Paxil before myself. If memory serves, that is one of the worse ones. I did try and come off Venlafaxine though (unsuccessfully) which also has very bad withdrawal effects. It may be worth seeing if you can change to something else like Fluoxetine first as that (and others) aren't as bad.

Can attest to the withdrawal effects. But the side effects are just as f*****g awful. I've gained 20kg since I started on antidepressants in general. And it's not like I feel any better for it, nor has my anxiety eased up much.

I'd better get used to the fact that I'm meant to suffer on till I'm released from this wretched existence, then.

(GENESIS)

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 6:11 pm

Jakki wrote:
^^^^^ Nootropics maynot be adviseable when your on other things affecting your brain .^^^^^
Please allow me to share something a good friend told me....SSRIs , are suppose to be Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitors....So if a med is suppose to help your body ration its amounts of available Seratonin . (Making it more available or less available)? But if you supplement your brain/ body with Extra Seratonin ? or the precise nutrients that the human body uses to produce Seratonin ....might be a better way to deal with a long term or short term depletion
of Seratonin. And those are available at some drug stores , most all vitamin stores, they are the Amino Acids your body normally produces to create seratonin....And I agree with my friend from my own experiences , based on that advise.

so alittle bit of extremely well documented Research,books , anything i could find on stuff .helped me alot ....And just like other brain processes, the body may take aweek to get production up to what a average person might need .For whatever dosage you deem safe.
three I tried were Melatonin , L-Tyrptophan,and .L- Theanine. As i have been told stuff you ingest that are food type products, suppLements included,Are used to whatever the body can apply them....and because they are only precusors
was informed that excess supplements most likely will process through , normal body elimination methods....
But after enough experiences people including Doctors , all just make educated guesses, they do not live in my body.
Am wanting know, and research whats ,,what? .....especially with stuff I allow others to suggest that I ingest,that may have psyche symptoms. Know this is a pain, but if you have to see any medical people especially MDs have a friend go with you as a witness.....Modern medicine ..,is not what its cracked up to be imho....My Father was a DO,,Rest in Peace @ 93, old school type Doc .....set the grounds for my Research . And also had a PDR to read. To check prescribed meds out...Real World advise ! :ninja: ..best wishes
Disclaimer:( Not meant to preclude anyones doctors advise)

Thank you, Jakki :) I agree that finding things that help your body produce the serotonin is a good idea. I heard L-Theanine and L-Tryptophan were good supplements to take to help produce serotonin. That's neat your father was a DO!

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 6:18 pm

pokeystinker wrote:
steve30 wrote:
Good luck.

I've been anti depressant free for 3 years now. It is possible, but it needs patience with the withdrawal symptoms.

I haven't used Paxil before myself. If memory serves, that is one of the worse ones. I did try and come off Venlafaxine though (unsuccessfully) which also has very bad withdrawal effects. It may be worth seeing if you can change to something else like Fluoxetine first as that (and others) aren't as bad.

Can attest to the withdrawal effects. But the side effects are just as f*****g awful. I've gained 20kg since I started on antidepressants in general. And it's not like I feel any better for it, nor has my anxiety eased up much.

I'd better get used to the fact that I'm meant to suffer on till I'm released from this wretched existence, then.

Thank you for sharing! The side effects can get very bothersome. I hate the sweating issues and just the run down feeling you get and they definitely cause weight gain issues. I think I gained maybe 5 to 6 Ibs since being on them. It can cause a lot of weight gain for some. I hope you are able to find some relief even though you are on them. It's definitely hard. I wouldn't wish the side effects and withdrawal effects on absolutely anyone. I hope that somehow the medical community begins to realize some of the serious side effect and withdrawal issues that can be caused by these medications. I think there are some that are beginning to realize it. Hopefully we will see some change in our lifetime.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 11:36 pm

Agrees with this post: ^

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2024, 11:46 pm

There may be benefits to switching to a DNRI antidepressant.(Bupropion)
Possible weight loss instead of gain.
Minimal sexual dysfunction.
The downside is it takes a while to be able to sleep again after starting.

If you're already on an SSRI or tri/tetracyclic you will still have to taper from serotonin, and simultaneous administration is frowned upon. (But they let me)