Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2024, 7:36 pm

As long as parents do not make it all about them at the expense of the autistic child, which is something I do not mind.

The hostility is coming from this lack of nuance and understanding on both sides.

In which people are mistaking or mixing up attitudinal cultural views for medical facts, and vice versa.
Or emphasizing one or the other is all wrong and the other part is only right.

I see two roads myself -- either separatists will win, or a mass collaboration would have to take place.

Former has a room for eugenicists and supremacists -- along with curebies and identity pride.
Allowing both polarized views to thrive, still at war with each other and yet the only way out of the war is to create an obvious border between them.

The latter does not, had to be trauma informed on 'both sides' that cannot afford mind games onto each other.
In which acknowledging all sides, seeing through all sides. Getting over the idea of competition or whatever, categories or not.

I'm all for serving all autistics of all levels.
That is, if "what is autism" is still defined more or less the same way.

But I'm also coming from a place where one doesn't rely on government support and the law, but relies more on caretaking culture and informal network systems.

That's the part I do not understand -- the part where a family, struggling regardless of circumstances, kept looking for governmental support and relying too much over it.

Quite why a pattern I'm seeing so far is that larger charities and lobbying are more successful than accommodating laws -- especially when said law has no means of implementation.

Governments are just the means and having have to persuade a direction to get certain resources or permission.

So if I want an autism support, the government is just this side piece, not the one carrying the entire thing...

... And the only way a government would carry the whole thing is for it to reflect through a system by their collective cultural norms and beliefs, in a consensus that they'd support or allow support or an act.

As for emphasizing complex needs -- an even more reason for me to hate being born a human, severe autism or not. :lol:

Other than autism isn't special with the idea of complex needs, and itself can be deadly expensive...

As for lumping one with another -- why not distinguish which parents are actually deplorable people, which parents aren't supposed to be parents to begin with yet (the types who do not understand that it's all a genetic lottery, which parents are just flat out ignorant or intolerant, regardless of their competence and led to wrong paths or ideas all because of some stupid attitudinal beliefs), or having presumed ideas over their future children and having children in general -- over reliance on neurotypical growth development), and which parents are just traumatized and tired yet otherwise would've done a good job if it weren't for their relative limitations and circumstances without support?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.