Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:54 am

I hate it when people use "incel" or "femcel" as an insult

I just think it pushes people to become more and more angry about their situation

I think people should be more kinder to each other

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:56 am

babybird wrote:
I hate it when people use "incel" or "femcel" as an insult

I just think it pushes people to become more and more angry about their situation

I think people should be more kinder to each other

I agree, bb. Kindness is a virtue.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:23 pm

I'm all in favour of this being out in the open though

I'm wondering if "Baby Reindeer" show is also a femcel issue as well as it being about a female stalker

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:58 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
"KnowYourMeme’s biggest rival, the institution that is Urban Dictionary, is more accurate though: there, a femcel is defined as a woman who doesn’t have sex, voluntarily or otherwise, but more importantly, a “chronically online” woman who is generally “a social reject, especially in real life, and mostly [has] online friends (if any IRL friends at all)."

I would like to know the extent to which being 'chronically online' contributes to the development of both incel and femcel mindsets. I suspect it would be significant.

On the subject of the terms being used as insults, I'd agree. However wasn't incel the word that incels themselves gave to their condition? I believe it was.

I have a lot of sympathy for people who struggle to achieve a romantic connection with another human. I've been there and I know what that feels like. What I don't have much sympathy for is the mindset that some people develop that they're powerless to do anything to improve the situation, and that the fault lies with members of whatever sex they're trying to attract for not finding them attractive.

ChicagoLiz
Raven
Raven

Yesterday, 4:07 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Why does it not seem like a real thing?

To quote the very next paragraph after the one you quoted in your original post:

Quote:
Rhiannon is the pathetic yet dangerous star of Sweetpea, Sky Atlantic’s new adaptation of CJ Skuse’s 2017 novel of the same name. Over six episodes she stalks and attacks those she deems deserving of punishment, and you honestly kind of root for her for it, even though you know you shouldn’t. Skuse’s young adult novels were once described as a linchpin in the rise of “antiheroines”, girls behaving badly in literature, but today they might be known by another, more modern, more internet-friendly name. They would be considered femcels.

So. this is a work of fiction that is part of a long history in literature of writing antihero protagonists, except this is more unusual in that the antihero is a woman. As we know, in real life women seldom kill in comparison to men, and when they do it's usually self defense against their violent partners, so it's more shocking to read a story in which a woman is not killing in self defense but rather for enjoyment.

But then, the person who wrote this article decided to claim 'both sides' by equating this fictional character with a well known real life group: incels.

In real life, there just isn't a large groundswell of women who attack men the way incels attack women. Sure, lots of single heterosexual women can't always find a man they want to date, but they don't lash out online the way we've seen incels do. In real life, you just don't have to be afraid of a single woman the way you do have to be afraid of any man you don't know really well.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:17 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I would like to know the extent to which being 'chronically online' contributes to the development of both incel and femcel mindsets. I suspect it would be significant.

That is an interesting point! I think you might be onto something there, although who knows whether incel and femcel mindsets are the precursor to being chronically online or the result of being a femcel or incel?

DuckHairback wrote:
On the subject of the terms being used as insults, I'd agree. However wasn't incel the word that incels themselves gave to their condition? I believe it was.

I think the word has become dirty, and that might not have been the original intention. The world itself is mired in stigma nowadays.

DuckHairback wrote:
I have a lot of sympathy for people who struggle to achieve a romantic connection with another human. I've been there and I know what that feels like. What I don't have much sympathy for is the mindset that some people develop that they're powerless to do anything to improve the situation, and that the fault lies with members of whatever sex they're trying to attract for not finding them attractive.

Agreed, I have sympathy for people in this realm, but I don't agree with blaming other people for not finding one attractive.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:23 am

ChicagoLiz wrote:
To quote the very next paragraph after the one you quoted in your original post:

"Rhiannon is the pathetic yet dangerous star of Sweetpea, Sky Atlantic’s new adaptation of CJ Skuse’s 2017 novel of the same name. Over six episodes she stalks and attacks those she deems deserving of punishment, and you honestly kind of root for her for it, even though you know you shouldn’t. Skuse’s young adult novels were once described as a linchpin in the rise of “antiheroines”, girls behaving badly in literature, but today they might be known by another, more modern, more internet-friendly name. They would be considered femcels."

So. this is a work of fiction that is part of a long history in literature of writing antihero protagonists, except this is more unusual in that the antihero is a woman. As we know, in real life women seldom kill in comparison to men, and when they do it's usually self defense against their violent partners, so it's more shocking to read a story in which a woman is not killing in self defense but rather for enjoyment.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the article references the movie 'Sweetpea' which is in line with the topic of the femcel, but the article also discusses what a femcel is more generally.

ChicagoLiz wrote:
But then, the person who wrote this article decided to claim 'both sides' by equating this fictional character with a well known real life group: incels.

In real life, there just isn't a large groundswell of women who attack men the way incels attack women. Sure, lots of single heterosexual women can't always find a man they want to date, but they don't lash out online the way we've seen incels do. In real life, you just don't have to be afraid of a single woman the way you do have to be afraid of any man you don't know really well.

I have come across several venomous femcels online, over the years, so I'm not sure I agree that there isn't a significant presence of these woman, who inevitably have a real life as well as an online one.

There are plenty of dangerous women out there to be associated with, but yes, statistically, men commit more crimes that there are to worry about in regards to interpersonal relations, i.e, violent or sexual crimes. I don't think many or any would argue with that.