Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 2:39 pm

The UK has certainly become a more dangerous place in the last decade or so because of the epidemic of knife crime.

Knives are sometimes more dangerous than guns, it takes some training to use a gun, not that easy to get one, where you can get a knife anywhere even make one as they do in prison.

A child can use a knife & they do in parts of the UK, people are also being stabbed in unprovoked attacks sometimes.

I heard a security / martial arts expert say a knife / gun standoff within 5-10 meters, its quicker for knife attacker to rush in & stab before the one with the gun can shoot depending on where his gun is.

Being vulnerable in the UK is dangerous in some towns & cities that's the reality.

- George Bernie Shaw

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 2:55 pm

carlos55 wrote:
I heard a security / martial arts expert say a knife / gun standoff within 5-10 meters, its quicker for knife attacker to rush in & stab before the one with the gun can shoot depending on where his gun is.

I've heard this expressed as the 21 foot rule. From 20 feet away my stick beats your gun because I can have you clobbered before you can guarantee I'm shot.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 3:34 pm

ColdFeetareCold wrote:
Is there anyone on the ground who has actually seen what's going on with their own eyes? I don't trust the news, really.

I share your skeptism.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 7:51 pm

Are the riots only in some parts of England or all over the country?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 11:25 pm

Fingers crossed ,, with much Luck ans slittle ectra pragmatism...I could possible be alive then at least virtually, and hopefully in RL. too...Medical technology outside of the confines if the AMA & FDA mefical and drug corporations .Is coming along quite well ... ( if you do the Research)....

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2024, 4:20 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

According to the news, it is all over the UK including Wales, but no one I know of living anywhere seems to have seen them or know anything about it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Aug 2024, 4:27 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
According to the news, it is all over the UK including Wales, but no one I know of living anywhere seems to have seen them or know anything about it from real life other than what was said in the news which is strange!
Er, which tends to indicate that the truth of the matter is that it was restricted to a few places and now, even fewer. AFAIK there are currently no active trouble spots.

It never was an "OMG, OMG the UK is in flames!! !! 8O " situation.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2024, 5:07 am

Cornflake wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
According to the news, it is all over the UK including Wales, but no one I know of living anywhere seems to have seen them or know anything about it from real life other than what was said in the news which is strange!
Er, which tends to indicate that the truth of the matter is that it was restricted to a few places and now, even fewer. AFAIK there are currently no active trouble spots.

It never was an "OMG, OMG the UK is in flames!! ! ! 8O " situation.

Is only in the virtual world of the TV presenters where they make three or four arrests in just one or two events into thousands of arrests and riots right around the country!

News presenters have to have good imagination these days to get the job.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Aug 2024, 5:12 am

^ Yep, sad but true.
Certain areas of the media seem to thrive on a diet of dissent, hate and troublemaking.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2024, 5:13 am

There were attacks near my neck of the woods, but they didn't attack the woods directly. I live in an area with low immigration, but it is surrounded by areas with high immigration. So the pattern of attacks was quite noticeable.

25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2024, 8:59 am

Cornflake wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

It never was an "OMG, OMG the UK is in flames!! ! ! 8O " situation.

They were in many different places but in the places where they occurred they were localized to a few blocks or places where immigrants are being housed.

It happened in Belfast, Ireland also.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Aug 2024, 3:24 pm

The BBC made a helpful graphic showing the locations -
(right-click | open image in new tab for a better view)

AFAIK none are still active - but that might change when Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (who masquerades as "Tommy Robinson") returns from his holiday.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Aug 2024, 3:19 pm

carlos55 wrote:
The UK has certainly become a more dangerous place in the last decade or so because of the epidemic of knife crime.

I'm not sure this is true.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... gmarch2023

Homicide rate bounces around a bit, but the big peak was roughly 2000-2008. The graph slightly exaggerates things because of 1) the 7/7 terrorist attacks, and 2) Harold Shipman's 173 murders all counting for 2003 despite being committed over 25 years. But the country is pretty much as safe as at any point in the last 50 years, and considerably safer than in the US.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 3:34 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

I'm not sure this is true.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... gmarch2023

Homicide rate bounces around a bit, but the big peak was roughly 2000-2008. The graph slightly exaggerates things because of 1) the 7/7 terrorist attacks, and 2) Harold Shipman's 173 murders all counting for 2003 despite being committed over 25 years. But the country is pretty much as safe as at any point in the last 50 years, and considerably safer than in the US.

Truley a Sad commentery on the USA.. :oops: ..... :(

where ever you go ,there you are

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 7:49 pm

There goes my dream vacation.