Anyone here sound normal to themselves, but when hear tape?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2009, 3:10 pm

well what I mean is when I speak I seem to sound normal but when I hear a recording of myself I sound a little "off"
a bit impaired not that impaired but a bit

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:12 pm

Everyone's voice sounds different when recorded than in their head. Me personally, my voice sounds several octives deeper when played back then when I hear it spoken. I think it gives me the sound of a mentally 'slow' person. Others tell me my voice sounds fine, though... *shrug*

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:14 pm

Mine sounds so normal to me but when I hear it recorded it sounds so damn screechy and nerdy. I hate it!

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:14 pm

Yeah, I experience the same thing. I can't stand to hear my own voice on tape. I don't sound the same on tape as I do when I normally speak, or at least I don't think so. Everyone else says I sound the same.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:27 pm

As mitharatowen said, this goes for everyone... Sounding different on tape than to ourselves from inside our head.

As for sounding a bit impaired or off, it's also a common thing for autists to have 'off'-sounding voices, largely due to a different use of intonation. I sound rather monotonous, and sometimes think that I MIGHT come across a bit 'impaired', but I try to compensate for this with my choice of words, to show others my vocabulary is fine.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:29 pm

EVERYONE here experiences this. It's due to bone conduction.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -different

The voice you hear on the tape is your 'real' voice and the one others hear. If you want to sound a certain way to others or think you sound too screechy, etc. work on the taped voice.

Does anyone hear their eyeballs move like it mentions in the article? I can't. My hearing is good, but not THAT good.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2009, 3:30 pm

Bill Gates sounds like Kermit the Frog

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:43 pm

Yes, it is true for everyone, not just those on the spectrum.

Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:55 pm

God, that's me horribly, I sound normal but when I hear myself on a recording I sound like I'm vibrating. I can't stand it at all.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:57 pm

I've always thought my voice was a bit too high-pitched, but when I listened to it on a video tape it sounded pretty deep. So it was a pleasant surprise for me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:58 pm

From the inside my voice always sounds the same to me but when I listen to a recording it actually varies a bit. Sometimes it sounds muffled and nasal :thumbdown:, other times it's deeper/fuller . It depends on how loud I'm talking. I can't hear the nasal part inside my head so I'm not sure how loud I have to talk to make it better. :shrug:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 4:38 pm

I like my voice when I'm speaking but when I play it back I cringe. I sound too fast and slurry and I laugh like I'm demented, and also I am really deep so I sound like a man with a slight nerdy "kermit the frog" tone, ugh.

Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 4:40 pm

The first time I taped myself and really listened I was really surprised.
I was finally able to hear the english accent I have, that everyone else hears.

Other than that I used to hate the sound of my voice, now I'm okay with it. It usually sounds small though:\

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 4:45 pm

What a coincidence - I was just thinking about this earlier! I definitely sound a LOT different when I hear myself being played back, which is mainly why I avoid talking to people on the phone.

29 May 2009, 5:05 pm

I sound totally different when I hear my voice.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2009, 5:30 pm

my real voice has a higher pitch then the one i hear, and its also kinda irritating to me. In a scratchy ear grating way.