Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 1:27 pm

please note that there are copyright issues to do with reproducing articles from online media. posts including articles which are under copyright will be removed, as has had to happen with all the "Sun Online" articles posted recently.

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2006, 1:42 pm

Does that just apply to articles from news sites that require a subscription to view? Or does it apply to all news articles?

Isn't it ok to post a news story as long as you quote the author and source?
What's the difference between posting a hyperlink and copying and pasting a whole article?

Where can one find out about the copyright laws regarding online news articles?

I usually like to copy and paste quotes rather than just post a hyperlink just in case the hyperlink passes its use-by-date.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 1:44 pm

i checked the Sun Online website (shudder) - i'll have a look and see how it applies to media in general and get back to you. (or if anyone else wants to, go ahead!).

alex
Developer
Developer

13 Jan 2006, 2:17 pm

copying one entire article from time to time from different sources is fair, but copying every article from the sun online site is copyright violation (its also spamming).

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 2:35 pm

My understanding is that you should only use a properly attributed section from an article, not the whole. By using the full text the reader no longer needs to refer to the original source, and so you are causing loss to the publisher. As I understand it, copyright law also varies from country to country; I don't think it's as simple as just saying this is a US based site, and so US law applies. For a start, some of the admin aren't US citizens.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 8:20 pm

Could I asked why this was not addressed before now.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 8:54 pm

does this mean that the articles that aspergian mutant posted will have to be removed too?

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 9:08 pm

hecate wrote:
does this mean that the articles that aspergian mutant posted will have to be removed too?
That is why I ask My Question. It makes Me wonder too.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 9:37 pm

kevv729 wrote:
hecate wrote:

:x :x Why is no one else twigging that post-anti is just trying to cause trouble. I asked him if he was anti and he cave some poem to say that he was. This is not to do with copyright issues its to do with flooding. Or though copyright issues is the excuse being used at the moment. The difference is the share number. post-anti had pretty much copyed a whole publication of boring articles from a web site.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 9:51 pm

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
kevv729 wrote:
hecate wrote:

:x :x Why is no one else twigging that post-anti is just trying to cause trouble. I asked him if he was anti and he cave some poem to say that he was. This is not to do with copyright issues its to do with flooding. Or though copyright issues is the excuse being used at the moment. The difference is the share number. post-anti had pretty much copyed a whole publication of boring articles from a web site.
I hate to say this aspergian mutant did the samething too. At one time or another in the end too.

So should have post-ante have to delete them when aspergian muntant did not that is the question as I see it in the end.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 11:22 pm

Just to let you know, it seems like the mods and admins have been taking care of it. Would it be possible for someone to write a list of rules as far as posting articles in this section? Should we post links or the text and how should we do so? If we have a couple of general guidelines, it might prevent some of the problems that could potentially come up.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2006, 2:03 am

oh... I have never seen any of the Asperger Mutant articles because I don't check the forum enough. So I guess that means my eairler comment regarding Asperger Mutant may not be vaild.

I disliked that many Threads flooding the forum.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2006, 5:35 am

i hope this answers all the questions above.

someone brought the issue up about copyright particularly to do with The Sun Online, due to the sheer volume of threads posted at one time. i checked the website, and it said that articles were not to be reproduced. i've also spent some time looking at sites from which other articles have been copied, and they say the same thing, as far as i can make out - legalese nightmare, of course.

to cover everything above, i suggest we have one rule only, which is that, if you wish to post news stories please post the link to the story only. i'll post this on the sticky at the top of this forum.

and people are correct - all the threads here will have to be edited so that only links are posted. this is a mammoth job, if the mods have to do all of it, so please, if you've posted an article here, could you edit the text out, leaving only the link. thank you. :D

Vivi
(as Admin)

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2006, 7:38 am

ascan wrote:
My understanding is that you should only use a properly attributed section from an article, not the whole. By using the full text the reader no longer needs to refer to the original source, and so you are causing loss to the publisher.

This makes sense to me.

I will refrain from posting whole articles in the future. But surely relevant quotes (and even paragraphs) are ok. Bloggers (I mean, like, well-known bloggers) use these all the time.

Ok, I'll get to work on editing some of my posts! (Not this minute though.)

If you're going to edit out all quotes from everyone's posts, many posts will lose their meaning.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2006, 7:43 am

is it still okay to copy, paste and post song lyrics?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2006, 8:35 am

thanks, chaps!

hecate - i have no idea 8O i suspect it might be okay, cos there's loads of sites which have entire song lyrics on them, which i've used, and i don't see any copyright notices. if someone wants to check this out, you shall be sent chocolate in abundance (if the chocolate pixies don't devour it on the way, of course).

gods, this is a nightmare...