Controversial autism treatment uses chemical castration drug

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

HannahJoyCapps
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2009, 3:24 pm

Quote:
CHICAGO — Desperate to help their autistic children, hundreds of parents nationwide are turning to an unproven and potentially damaging treatment: multiple high doses of a drug sometimes used to chemically castrate sex offenders.

The therapy is based on a theory, unsupported by mainstream medicine, that autism is caused by a harmful link between mercury and testosterone. Children with autism have too much of the hormone, according to the theory, and a drug called Lupron can fix that.

"Lupron is the miracle drug," Dr. Mark Geier of Maryland said after meeting with an autistic patient in suburban Chicago.

Geier and his son developed the "Lupron protocol" for autism and are marketing it across the country, opening clinics in states from Washington to New Jersey.

But experts say the idea that Lupron can work miracles for children with autism is not grounded in scientific evidence.

Four of the world's top pediatric endocrinologists told the Chicago Tribune that the Lupron protocol is baseless, supported only by junk science. More than two dozen prominent endocrinologists dismissed the treatment earlier this year in a paper published online by the journal Pediatrics.

Simon Baron-Cohen, a professor of developmental psychopathology at the University of Cambridge in England and director of the Autism Research Center in Cambridge, said it is irresponsible to treat autistic children with Lupron.

"The idea of using it with vulnerable children with autism, who do not have a life-threatening disease and pose no danger to anyone, without a careful trial to determine the unwanted side effects or indeed any benefits, fills me with horror," he said.

Experts in childhood hormones warn that Lupron can disrupt normal development, interfering with natural puberty and potentially putting the child's heart and bones at risk. The treatment also means subjecting children to daily injections, including painful shots deep into muscle every other week.

This weekend, Dr. Mayer Eisenstein, a family practitioner in Rolling Meadows, Ill., who provides the treatment, is scheduled along with Geier and his son, David, to speak at the Autism One conference at the Westin O'Hare in Rosemont, Ill. The five-day conference, featuring a keynote speech by actress-turned-activist Jenny McCarthy, steps in where modern medicine has yet to succeed, offering answers for what causes autism and treatments with allegedly dramatic results.

All three men plan to talk about the link they see between autism and vaccines; the Geiers will also discuss hormones and autism.

Mark Geier and Eisenstein are physicians, but neither is board certified in any specialty relevant to autism and the use of Lupron, including pediatrics, endocrinology, psychiatry and neurology. Geier is a geneticist; his son has a bachelor's degree in biology. Eisenstein, a family doctor who preaches a message of home birth, vitamins and vaccine safety, said he treated "virtually no" autistic children in the past.

Eisenstein said he met the Geiers last summer at the Health Freedom Expo in Chicago and that he began offering Lupron in his office because parents of autistic children were pleading with him for help.

Since his Autism Recovery Clinic opened in late January, Eisenstein said he has seen about 75 autistic children, with about 35 undergoing extensive lab testing. On May 11, he told the Chicago Tribune that four or five children were on Lupron, and 15 to 20 could start treatment within weeks.

The Geiers say they have probably treated 300 autistic children and a handful of adults with Lupron, and an additional 200 people are being tested.

In February, when the Geiers visited his office, Eisenstein was effusively enthusiastic about Lupron. "It is awesome, just awesome," he told doctors in his practice after the Geiers spoke about their therapy.

But three days after his May interview with the Chicago Tribune, Eisenstein called to say he was having second thoughts about the autism clinic, citing issues with insurance companies and less-than-spectacular results.

"It's highly unlikely that we're going to be part of the autism program much longer," Eisenstein said. "I'm not pleased enough with it. It's not where I want to put my energy."

Several parents whose children are on Lupron told the Chicago Tribune that it works, saying their children are better-behaved and show cognitive improvement.

"It was an obvious, undeniable result," said Julie Duffield of Carpentersville, Ill., whose 11-year-old son has autism. "I wish you could see what he was like before."

Experts said such beliefs are common among parents who try alternative autism treatments. It's easy, they say, to attribute normal developmental leaps to whatever treatment is being tried at the time.

"It has become a cottage industry of false hope, and false hope is no gift to parents," said Autism Science Foundation President Alison Singer, whose daughter has autism. "A lot of these therapies have no science behind them. You are using your child as a guinea pig.
http://www.twincities.com/health/ci_124 ... ck_check=1

Discuss...

introspective
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2009, 4:53 pm

"parents of autistic children were pleading with him for help"

Same issue regarding the concept of non-entities. I may have missed something, but I did not see the opinions of those tested on once in the article.

On a side note, this screams "X-Men 3".

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 5:12 pm

More snake oil for the Nazis to play with.

SamAckary
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2009, 5:31 pm

You gotta admit its scary isn't it?
I read up about somethings related to the drug, and found out about side effects on children and adolescents such as irreversible damage to sexual functioning, vastly lowering testosterone levels and all kinds of stuff, is this how far they need to go to try and 'cure' something they could just as easily learn about and accept? Makes you wonder how these people sleep at night to be honest...

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 6:11 pm

wtf! Killing the children outright would be more merciful!

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 6:36 pm

You might want to see http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2210150 ... t=#2210150

this drug treatment has already been discussed there.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 6:59 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
More snake oil for the Nazis to play with.

You got that right!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 7:41 pm

It's a real money machine. Lupron treatment costs thousands per month...

They also start out with about fifty different tests, and if any one of them comes up with high testosterone, they say your kid's got high testosterone... well, if those fifty tests have even a 2% false-positive rate, you're almost sure to get at least one positive. And the tests cost about as much as a new car, of course.

These people are deceiving and feeding off of scared parents, and it's not right. It's bad enough to sell snake oil; but to sell it so expensively as to bankrupt families is just criminal.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 7:44 pm

It doesn't even cure it, it just seems to make the kids more tolerable for their parents. :?

Kinda like adderall for autistic kids. What a shame.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 8:05 pm

Callista wrote:
It's a real money machine. Lupron treatment costs thousands per month...

They also start out with about fifty different tests, and if any one of them comes up with high testosterone, they say your kid's got high testosterone... well, if those fifty tests have even a 2% false-positive rate, you're almost sure to get at least one positive. And the tests cost about as much as a new car, of course.

These people are deceiving and feeding off of scared parents, and it's not right. It's bad enough to sell snake oil; but to sell it so expensively as to bankrupt families is just criminal.

Doing outrageous new treatments to autistic kids helps parents stay in denial that much longer. It also usually cost them a lot of money. The kids grow up and then there's nothing except isolation and sadness because the parents never faced reality.

When my daughter was growing up I was amazed how easily so many parents of autistic kids bought into complete BS, doing ANYTHING, spending ANYTHING to avoid doing the work, as loving accepting parents, their kids really needed them to do. I wanted to work together with them for better futures but most of the parents' enthusiasm, energy and bonding seemed to go toward the newest silly unproven treatment.

I might be exaggerating about the amount of parents who were like this. I don't know. I'm on the spectrum, myself and didn't know how to handle the BS and the preaching to me that I ought to be doing this stuff to my daughter. So I just withdrew and tried to solve housing problems and quality of life challenges for her on my own with my husband.