Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 10:14 am

Sort of... half the people from my college I've requested have rejected me. I swear, I almost have a better chance if I didn't know them in advance. I'll never understand what the Hell people had against me at my four year college. My worst offense was being to myself in the dorms, but even then I was at least polite to them and social on occasion. People at my junior college were a little more receptive, for what reason I don't know why.

Anyway, just venting. I know it shouldn't matter what other people think of you, but it's hard not to be curious sometimes. I pretend like I don't care, but I really do.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 10:28 am

I pretty much hate it too, a lot of people from a past I just want to leave behind have popped up again and as I'm always trying to be nice I have accepted them, bad memories have been brought back up, recently I'm just ignoring everything coming from it.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 11:23 am

My friends on facebook-- the only girl in h.s. who ever talked to me; a friend from grad school who i hung out with for a few mos 15 yrs or so ago; a girl who once threw me out of her house because of my problems who has forgiven me; an ex-spiritual advisor, no three of those; three people in a different state whom I wasn't close to, but went to karaoke with for a while; one girl I've known for a few months; several people I don't recognize at all.

No one responds to me on Facebook. Nobody comments on my status.

I just play Arabian Nights and Mafia Wars.

You see, I didn't really have friends, Kindergarten-college. I was hardly aware or caring about the existence of others.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 11:51 am

I have had mostly wonderful experiences on Facebook. (read on.)

I don't accept everyone who requests, and I don't take it personally when ppl reject my friend requests. There can be many, many reasons for this. It's a little harder to take when someone unfriends me with no explanation. Would be nice to know why. If someone sends out too many feeds, you can hide 'em.

People I didn't really know in school or care about, I don't friend or accept. Why? They hated me then. We have nothing in common now. The only reason for me to friend them is so they can see how happy and successful (my own definitions) I am now.

I use it as a professional and political networking tool, too, not just social, and for publicizing my band as well (and of course Scrabble and Lexulous) so a lot of it has not so much to do with "friends" in the standard throwaway sense.

Like any tool, it has good and bad uses.

I hope this helps. Or, continue to hate it; it's your own opinion that is perfectly valid of course.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 12:57 pm

What about your own family members actively rejecting a request?

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 4:16 pm

Keith wrote:
What about your own family members actively rejecting a request?

My 20-yr-old stepson rejected my requests twice. The first time I took it very personally and it made me sad. The second time, I thought, would I want to be my stepmom's FB friend? Would I want her to receive my updates, personal info, silly pictures, maybe take my comments the wrong way? I'm not super close with either of them. So I realized that there were good, valid reasons he did not friend me. I am now ok with it.
After all, there are not tons and tons of things we have in common anyway, being with the age difference, difference in interests (although I really want to help him learn the Greek he needs to learn and he will not allow me to- whole different topic) and maybe one mutual friend. So I am being adult and understanding about it.

Now, my bro and his wife, we are close. We share pix and updates on FB and real life. So it depends on the situation.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 4:32 pm

Doesn't really sound like something that's FB's fault, though I have issues with their ToS.

Some people just get sick of being friended by random people they don't really know, whereas others will add anyone.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 4:50 pm

I also don't like how public facebook has gotten. I don't like when I post a comment on someone elses profile, that everybody on my friends list (that is their friend too) can see it. Facebook didn't use to be that way.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 8:24 pm

riverotter wrote:
It's a little harder to take when someone unfriends me with no explanation. Would be nice to know why.

Oh, that's another perk you get with facebook- the joy of somebody randomly dropping you, for whatever f*cked up a** reason. They have their reasons, but if they have over 200 other people, they're obviously not picky, so how can you say it's not personal?

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 8:38 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
riverotter wrote:
It's a little harder to take when someone unfriends me with no explanation. Would be nice to know why.

Oh, that's another perk you get with facebook- the joy of somebody randomly dropping you, for whatever f*cked up a** reason. They have their reasons, but if they have over 200 other people, they're obviously not picky, so how can you say it's not personal?

Right! LOL one time it was a lady who, we messaged back and forth a LOT, and one day I tried to get her name out of the drop-down box to send a message about a movie I knew she would like. it didn't come up. Thinking it was a FB glitch, I searched for her, and then of course her private profile's "mutual friends" indicated she had suddenly dropped a whole group of us from that club.
Months later, she asked "did you notice?" what was I supposed to say?

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 8:45 pm

d057 wrote:
I also don't like how public facebook has gotten. I don't like when I post a comment on someone elses profile, that everybody on my friends list (that is their friend too) can see it. Facebook didn't use to be that way.

You can change your settings.
Go to the dark blue bar toward the top. Under "settings" you can choose account settings and privacy settings.
(privacy -> news feed and wall)
It's pretty intuitive. You can also block users and block how ppl can search for you.

Hope that helps.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 5:50 am

I am the opposite then since I like Facebook. I am on the site quite a bit everyday since I keep track of stuff going on with my friends.

I recently online artilce by PCWorld which put Myspace as the number one worst website. So I use Facebook more because I like how the site works and it is less stressful on my eyes with a simple background vs Myspace.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/127116-7 ... sites.html

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:56 am

JerryHatake wrote:
it is less stressful on my eyes with a simple background vs Myspace.

JerryHatake,--Oh, the glitter! The flashing! The slow, horrible, oft-violent video on the MySpace login page! Facebook is so clean and easy on my eyes. I hit "hide" on all the timewaster quizzes, and I'm set.
Interesting article- from 2006! Barely anyone uses MySpace anymore, and it's not hard to see why (literally).

Observer20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2009, 7:33 pm

I don't send many requests out on facebook, in fact I had to send a couple out to keep in touch because we had a class assignment to do, I don't even consider them my friends, I added them because I had to :roll: . One of them rejected me for reasons unknown, and I can't say I lost any sleep over it. :lol:. Since I don't even like these 3 people, I should delete them but since I see them in class, it might not be a good idea. I know some people, that have to have every single person they met on their friends list, I don't get that.

Not counting the 3 people in the above paragraph, I have about 11 people on there that I consider friends. I got a random request from some guy who mistook me for someone else, and interestingly enough I developed an online friendship with this person. Which is kinda cool, I guess.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 7:55 pm

I just recently joined facebook. I was dead affraid of doing in before my dad convinced me to join with a fake name which I did. My only purpose with it is to have my relatives there and nobody else, except maybe very long lasting family friends of my parents but thats all. My relatives cant add me as a friend if I dont tell them my fake name so I am the one who have to add them. Thats is a good solution to keep my privacy far away from all people I dont want contact with there. Why I have a fake name is simply to hide from my relatives friends whom I dont know and dont want to know....those who have around 300 friends in their lists is most spooky, that means they just add "anyone" which I never ever will do. I have very strict privacy settings so only my relatives can access me and not their friends.

But Facebook is spooky indeed. Today I came across some people I prefer to only forget from my schoolyears and that was links from one of my cousins :cry:
That was a discusting feeling because the last I want is to see people from my past which I almost always try to escape from. I dont want to make that escape worse by seeing their faces on the net!! !

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2009, 9:54 am

Facebook is a waste of time, I've never bothered with it.